Friday 23 March 2012

When Helen met Sharon 21.03.12

The Archers Wednesday 21st March 2012
  • Vicky Vs Eddie
  • Helen visits Sharon
  • Helen’s inconsolable


Vicky Vs Eddie

Most definitely results in a 1-0 home result for Vicky.

He’s “squeezed” Vicky in between jobs, to do her water feature (as promised under the promise auction).

But, as we all know, Vicky (and Mike) feel Eddie pulled a fast one:

[Vicky] “When I joined the bidding at the promise auction I never imagined we’d be scammed!”

Eddie claims it was clear as day that he was offering just to fit a water feature, not to buy and fit one.

[Vicky] “But that’s what you made it look like!”

[Eddie] “Always read the small print … terms and conditions apply”

And moving swiftly on …

[Eddie] “Any chance of a cuppa before I start?”

[Vicky, quite angry] “You’ve got a nerve!”

[Eddie] “And a biccy if you’ve got one”

Ah – but Eddie isn’t chuckling at Vicky’s expense for very long.

Vicky’s decided to change her mind about where she wants her water feature. She now wants it further away from the house. Which, as Eddie is quick to notice, is “miles away from the electric supply”.

[Eddie] “It’ll take me hours to just dig the trench for the cables!”

[Vicky] “Oh dear. Well, perhaps you’d better forget that cup of tea then and get cracking!”

Once Eddie has finished, and the “grand switch on” went off without a hitch, Vicky has a final sting to make.

[Vicky] “It’s lovely. And it’ll look even lovelier when you lay those slate chippings”

Eddie is not pleased, but hasn’t got much choi8ce,. Vicky said it had something to do with Abby being safe around the new water feature.

Ah – that Vicky’s a wild yin!


Helen visits Sharon

They got off to a good start.

At least Sharon opened the door to Helen (though she only half-heartedly offer her a cup of tea or coffee, and didn’t even ask her to sit down).

Helen explains the rough year Bridge Farm has been through. And that Tony has had a heart attack.

[Sharon] “Yeah, I was sorry to hear about that … I wouldn’t wish that on anybody”

Helen talks about Ton having out his own feelings to one side to be able to support Pat, and that just when they thought things were turning for the better, he collapsed.

Sharon doesn’t see what it has to do with her.

[Helen] “They’ve been left with so many regrets”

[Sharon] “I can’t help with any of that”

[Helen] “You can”

[Sharon] “I can’t. How your mum and dad feel is up to them. It’s always up to them”

Helen tells Sharon that Pat and Tony deeply regret what happened in the past, that they want things to be different and that they want to get to know Rich, and he them.

[Sharon] “Kylie said you’d want to talk about Rich and I knew this is what you’d ask”

Sharon still doesn’t want to upset Rich. He’s doing grand at school, is settled, loves his dad. She doesn’t want his live changed.

[Helen] “Just to let him know there are other people that love and care for him too, and who he can turn to if he ever needed us … my dad my die without ever seeing Rich again”

[Sharon] “I’m sorry, but I can’t help that”

[Helen] “The thing is, you can. If you let bygones be bygones, if you could just bring yourself to forgive mum and dad and let it go”

[Sharon] “Let it go!”

[Helen] “Oh that sounded crass … I lost someone I felt very deeply for too … but those feelings of hate and blame gnaw away at you too, if you don’t forgive …”

[Sharon] “That’s enough! Oh, you’re your mother’s daughter alright. If you think you can come into my house and start patronising me … I think you better leave”

[Helen] “I’m really sorry if I've offended you ... if you can’t do this for mum and dad's sake, do it for John's. ... I know you loved John, you called your son after him”

[Sharon, almost whispering] “Oh John ... I did love him”

[Helen] “I know, you loved him just as much as you did”

But Sharon is now beyond upset, and asks Helen to go. Which she does.



Helen’s inconsolable

Helen really does take things hard.

When she gets home, and goes to see Tom (after settling Henry), she’s already sobbing.

[Helen] “It was a disaster … I tried everything I could think of … tried to connect with her … I felt like I antagonised her from the off”

[Tom] “None of that had any affect?”

[Helen] “It was like she’d put on protective armour, and she wasn’t going to let anything get through that might touch her”

(Helen is now sobbing even harder)

[Tom] “At least you tried, eh, and it took a lot of guts”

[Helen] “No. No it’s much worse than you think”

[Tom] “It’s not your fault that she’s so hard faced and unforgiving”

[Helen] “It was awful, I brought John into it. I was desperate … she wasn’t angry at all, just so hurt, so wounded. I didn’t want to cause her any pain … that was my one chance, our one chance, and she won’t let any of us anywhere near her family again … I've failed them when it really, really mattered”

[Tom] “You mustn’t worry about mum and dad. They don’t know about this and we won’t tell them … I’m so proud of you, and you couldn’t have done anything more”

You know – for once I’m going to actually give Tom credit.

He may be an a*se 99.9% of the time, but he does look after his rather emotionally fragile sister.

No comments: