Wednesday 11 August 2010

9th August 2010

The Archers: Helen breaks her news … The party planning gathers pace

  • A new mower!
  • Helen tells Peggy
  • Peggy takes it to Tony
  • A Barbeque in a marquee?!?


A new mower!

What’s Tom so upset about? Why the big stooshie over a mower (though I am aware it’s not the garden variety)?

Is this taste of things to come as Tony and Pat step back from Bridge Farm to let Tom and Helen take over?

Though I would have thought that was a wee while off yet.

Either way, it doesn’t look like it’ll be a harmonious venture.


Helen tells Peggy

Ah, I do feel sorry for Helen.

There she is, growing nicely plump with child and feeling rather delighted with it – but half of her family doesn’t want anyone else to know.

“I don't want to open my Echo and find it in the coming events”

Said a horrified Tony. But what did he think was going to happen? That Helen was have her baby without anyone else noticing? It had to be said sooner or later.

Thinking that Alice was pregnant, Helen’s now determined to spread the news about her own pregnancy. Though that does smack a bit of ‘look at me, look at me, not at her!’

I was also a bit surprised at Peggy’s reaction. I expected all of the:

“But why?”

“I don’t understand”

“It seems like such an extreme thing to do”

And her then relating it to how difficult it was for Jennifer to bring up Adam (can anyone remind me if Peggy was supportive of that pregnancy at first? I know Dan had to sort everyone out about it, but was Peggy difficult about it before that?)

But, I didn’t expect Peggy to give into Helen’s pleas so easily to ‘support’ her, even if she didn’t approve, then to be a tad two-faced and called Tony to let rip with her horror.

That doesn’t suggest to me that Helen’s really going to get much support from Peggy.

At the end of it all, as Helen said:

“ I wanted to get on with my life - this isn't second best”

Surely that should be enough for everyone?


Peggy takes it to Tony

How relieved was Tony that he finally has someone else to pour disapproval and horror onto Helen’s decision?

“Pat is supporting her daughter”

Note the ‘her’ of that statement from Tony.

“But this is so wrong for her … it's so unnecessary … why couldn’t she wait?”

Which is everything Tony’s been saying since Helen announced her plans, but he now has the joy of hearing Peggy say it.

I can’t see how it’ll help form them to gang up together – the bun is in the oven, the baby is on its way.

Or, will tragedy strike, leaving Peggy and Tony feeling a bit guilty about their attitudes?

Impossible to tell at the moment, though Helen does have an uncanny knack of attracting bad vibes.

“everyone will know soon”

“it’s not going to get any easier”

Indeed.


A Barbeque in a marquee?!?

Bless Susan. She knows barbeques are best done in your back garden, with a wee smattering of rain and your dog trying to steal the sausages.

It’s not quite what one would expect of the Aldridges.

But that’s the point. There’s such a gulf between the families that this can’t ‘come off’ without tears.

Especially when Susan wants to involved Tom’s Sausages …

No comments: