Saturday 29 January 2011

The Archers Fri 28th Jan 2011: David gets angry

  • Did David not learn after the roof?
  • What sort of car will Pip get?
  • And still no bloomin tray!
  • Kenton on the rest of ‘em
  • From kissing trays to loud shouting
  • Shula and Jill on the rest of ‘em
  • Nigel knew how to open mouths



Did David not learn after the roof?

What part of not doing potentially dangerous stuff in the dark/bad conditions did David not understand?

This time, he’s out first thing, in the dark, repairing a shed.

That man is a complete idiot sometimes.


What sort of car will Pip get?

Hard to tell what David and Ruth will buy her for her birthday.

Something practical or girly?


And still no bloomin tray!

No wonder David is having such a hard time with this wedding if he can’t even track down a tray.

[David] “I just wish this retched wedding wasn’t hanging over me like the sword of Damocles”

And boy, does that sword come down with a crash later on …



Kenton on the rest of ‘em

[Kenton on Jolene] “she has a really easy manner, but she still gets things done!

Which Shula reckons is also a good description of Kenton himself.

[Kenton on David] “Like a terrier with a bone over this wedding … growls whenever me or Lewis goes near him”

[Kenton on Elizabeth] “seems hell bent on running himself into the ground”

At least Shula seems sane enough these days …


From kissing trays to loud shouting

David’s rummaging through random boxes of stuff at Lower Loxley in an attempt to (finally) find the right tray for the wedding cake.

As he’s about to go spare at the lack of said tray, he finally founds one and plants a big kiss on it, right in front of Kenton.

So, job done?

Ah – turns out that’s not the end of the great tray saga. As Kenton points out to David, the cake could be round, or square, or any other shape that the blushing bride has set her heart on!

That news is just too much for David:

[David] “Square? It can’t be square! It my head it’s always been round! The stupid woman never said”

[Kenton] “Well, did you ask her? … I’m sorry David, you should have. You can’t plan a wedding on a wing and a prayer”

[David] “I do my best alright, but I’m NOT A FLAMING WEDDING PLANNER!

(big crash as David throws the tray)

“I’M A FARMER!

“ I.

“DO.

“FARMING!!!

“I DO FARMING!

“I’M OUT OF MY DEPTH, ALRIGHT!

“… I’ve got to get it right.

[Kenton] “Yeah, I know. For Elizabeth.”

[David] “For Nigel …”

Phew! David was go to blow at some point, and I’m glad it was with Kenton. If there’s someone who knows how to handle erratic shouting, it’s him 9after all those years with Kathy!).

Kenton then finds Nigel’s gorilla suit, calming both of them down. He then tries to placate David by saying how much more David is needed to help manage the estate, and that wedding planning is:

[Kenton] “boring and any idiot can go through the list”

[David, on what he thought wedding planning would be like] “ if not easy, at least logical. And then I encountered ‘The Mother of the Bride’ …”

[David] “I’m just in the stage where I want to throw dung at everyone … you know when a footballer wears a suit, and you just want to say no mate, it’s all wrong, go and put your strip on … that’s how I feel. I’m the wrong fit … you should MC it,”

[Kenton] “You don’t know how happy I am to hear you say that”

[David] “You’d do it much better than me, you old charmer. I’m sorry I bit your head off.”

[Kenton] “It’s the right decision and it takes a big man to say it”

Kenton sounded over the moon to be taking over the wedding – he finally gets to do something practical for Elizabeth, that he’s actually good at.

And at long last, David’s accepted that he can’t be everything for everyone. Ruth will be glad to hear that …

And just in the middle of their joy, Mrs Barrington-Hughes called David:

[David] “Can I pass you over to my … boss … Kenton … it’s been a pleasure working with you too”

[Kenton] “(under his breath: Cometh the hour, cometh the man) … Mrs Barrington-Hall, Kenton Archer at your service”



Shula and Jill on the rest of ‘em

Shula’s worried about Ruth trying to hold everything together by herself (at last! Someone, apart from Brian, has remembered Ruth exists!)

[Shula] “She told me he’s started making mistakes on the farm, but he won’t let up”

[Jill] “Neither will Elizabeth. She can’t just plunge in like this, surely, she has a weak heart”

Oh – there’s a point.

The twins surely won’t be left to the mercy of the trustees …????


Nigel knew how to open mouths

Helen finally takes Henry to meet Elizabeth – and he did manage to cheer her up a bit.

Elizabeth tried an old trick that Nigel used to use on the twins to get their mouths to open.

Seemingly, if you stroke a baby’s top lip, they’ll open right up.

Which worked nicely on Henry.

There you go. The Archers – practical help for parents.

8 comments:

Judy Astley said...

You mean Nigel wasn't buried in the gorilla suit??? That's so wrong.

Ruby said...

I winder if it is true about stroking a sproglet's lip.

Apparently if you throw a sproglet in to water, it will swim. And if you put its hands round a washing line it will hang on and you can let go. I wonder if Helen would let anyone (well, me) try out these experiments on Henry.

I've also been told that a sproglet can survive in a freezer for longer than an adult can. Which might be worth testing. With Kate as the adult. And let's not bother with the sproglet part of the experiment.

fleurblanc said...

There he blows - I just knew that the wedding was going to be too much for David. I'm so glad that Kenton was able to step in & save the day.
The wedding has also shown that Emma has an eye for detail - a possible job for the future!!!!
Ruth does seem to be at the end of her tether - lets hope she gets a bit more support soon.
Can't make my mind up now whether Kenton will end up at Lower Loxley helping Elizabeth or at the Bull helping Jolene - he could so easily do both.

Inga McVicar said...

absolutely agree Judy - I was surprised it was just flung in with a bunch of random thungs. They should stuff it and put it in a display case.

Inga McVicar said...

Ruby *laughs* Kate's being very quiet at the moment, but I reckon we should get your plan ready for when she pipes up again.

And who knows about the new Helen - if she's willing to take Henry out when it's a bit chilly, she might be up for anything!

Inga McVicar said...

I wish Kenton and Jolene would get a shift on if they are to be an item, fleurblanc. I reckon they'd do well together, but am still wary of red herrings.

And you're right - Kenton could be Elizabeth's answer.

David has to slow down soon, or lose his sanity, and maybe his wife! Guilt's a terrible thing indeed.

And yes - didn't Emma just shine! I'd wish her well, but she's been so rubbish over Clarrie ...

Andy Armitage said...

Who on earth says "throw dung"? If they want to avoid the word he would have said, they should not have used the phrase at all. It just makes it impossible to suspend disbelief when coy, middle-class writers who seem to know nothing of the real world (or don't know how to avoid unbelievable dialogue) are allowed to get away with this. It would have been better to have said simply "throw something", or he could have been humorous without using a taboo word and said "I just want to throw something very squelchy and smelly at somebody!"

Inga McVicar said...

I hear what you're saying Andy, but as The Archers Are Real ... There is No Cast, I couldn't possibly comment (even though I just did ...)