Sunday 23 January 2011

The Archers Wed 19th Jan 2011: Jim’s not amused by Joe

  • Daniel likes Jill’s pavlova
  • Neil’s arranged a quarter peal for Nigel
  • Jim gives Joe a telling
  • The drawer of doom?
  • Shula grieves for Nigel
  • A level time
  • Pat spells it out to Kathy



Daniel likes Jill’s pavlova

But she’s run out of cream.

And barges into Joe as she rushes out of the Village Shop (or so he reckons):

[Joe] “I comes in for an ounce of baccy and I gets assaulted!”

And Jill manages to leave her purse behind – which she didn’t even notice until Jim brought it round to Shula’s for her.

Well, I think that whole side of the Archer clan gets excused for any bad behaviour at the moment.



Neil’s arranged a quarter peal for Nigel

And Freddie’s taking a dibber that Nigel made into one of his interviews for school.

Not forgotten, but life does indeed go on.


Jim gives Joe a telling

[Jim] “It’s come to my attention that you’ve been using the research I did… or more rightly, abusing it”

[Joe] “No, no - I don’t think so”

[Jim] “Do you deny that you’ve been calling door to door dressed in improbable white clothes, brandishing spray painted secateurs and posing as some sort of Druidic high priest”

[Joe] “Oh, I never said I was a high priest …”

[Jim] “ … and spouting some spurious mumbo jumbo ostensively designed to ensure the germination of mistletoe … Joe, I did that research for you ‘uberrima fides’, in upmost good faith, because I thought you were interested in the subject, not on how to make money out of it by duping local residents”

[Joe] “Well, it was only a bit of fun”

[Jim] “Well, I must insist that you stop immediately. If word gets about that this is based on research that I undertook, I’d be a laughing stock. I have a reputation to protect, you know.”

[Joe] “I didn’t mean no harm … and I’m sorry for any offence caused”

Well that was Joe told.

Though his offer to ‘do’ Jim’s apples trees wasn’t that eagerly taken up by Jim. He’s fine for Joe to try and grow him some mistletoe on his trees, but:

[Jim] “chanting will not be necessary”



The drawer of doom?

I might still be suffering from #sattc (Shock to Shake Ambridge to the Core), as I’m seeing something ominous in every wee thing in Ambridge.

Pat’s dodgy drawer sounds very worrying to me …


Shula grieves for Nigel

[Shula] “I miss him so much … but I don’t feel I have the right … to feel so low myself, not compared to Elizabeth and what she must be suffering”

Jill reassures Shula that she has every right to feel the way she does, especially considering Nigel and Shula were romantically linked before he got together with Elizabeth (well, it was more Nigel than Shula, but she was very fond of him even then).

He was also a good friend, and had comforted Shula on the morning of Mark’s funeral.

[Jill] “… and if things had worked out differently”

Now there’s a thought.

Life would have been very different for all concerned.


A level time

Kathy’s complaining that Jamie doesn’t seem to care about making his A Level choices (he just wants to leave school, play games and hope/assume something will turn up), whereas Daniel has Jim keen to coach him on his first steps into a life of academia.

I wonder if Daniel is as good as he’s made out to be? We haven’t really heard from him for a while.

And Jamie … well … anything that stops us having to suffer him and Kathy shouting at each other will be just fine with me.



Pat spells it out to Kathy

Well, pat did make herself clear to Kathy, but in a rather respectful way:

[Pat] “You k now you’re always welcome of course, but I wonder if, given the baby, we could start to agree one night each week for you to come to eat”

[Kathy] “I understand Pat … I’ve been a bit too dependent on you. Don’t worry. Message received.”

Ouch!

Pat was trying to explain to Kathy that they needed more family time, with Henry soon to be arriving home, and that she still did want to see Kathy.

But Kathy seemed to take it a tad more personal.

Well – what other way could she take it? She was basically being told that she wasn’t wanted in their household every night. Which would hurt. Even if Kathy should have spotted that herself.

And won’t Tony be delighted!

No comments: