Wednesday 23 June 2010

18th June 2010

Jaxx re-opens … Sid’s funeral … Helen’s has a six week scan … Jude and Pip plans their trip

  • I think they should have gone with the moose head wall feature
  • If Jude wasn’t ringing alarm bells before, surely now that he thinks Kenton is ‘a really cool guy’
  • Sid’s funeral sounded horrific
  • Who ate all the canapés? Helen did. Helen did. Helen ate all the canapés.
  • What did Kenton say about Helen’s skirt?
  • No Kenton. You supporting your partner and step-son through the death of his father is not, I repeat not, a ‘test’


I think they should have gone with the moose head wall feature


Actually – did Jim get any of his ideas past Kenton?

Not that it matters. Seems like Jaxx was a big hit with all and every.


If Jude wasn’t ringing alarm bells before, surely now that he thinks Kenton is ‘a really cool guy’

I think I’m now more frustrated that I can find any new way to express my frustration about Jude.

Well, not without my blog turning blue!

He did sound very keen about his trip with Pip (for which she’s working all hours).

Mind you, they do deserve each other – what with Pip thinking everyone in Spain will speak English, and Jude thinking that the Spanish name for hamburger we just, like, so, utterly, like, hilarious … pleb.

And just a word to Pip – I really don’t want to know how ‘different’ you will be once off David and Ruth’s radar. Too much information, especially when it involves Jude. You’ll only live to regret it.

While I’m at it:

“I’ll fit in with whatever you want”

Is (a) not a healthy way for one partner to act towards the other and (b) a disaster when said to Jude.

Why on earth are you being so compliant to such an utter idiot?


Sid’s funeral sounded horrific

You have to feel so sorry for Jolene, no matter what you thought about Sid.

At least she had her family with her when they cremated Sid in New Zealand, but it was such a horrible funeral.

Officiated by someone who’d never met him, only enough people to fill a couple of pews at the front, knowing that Sid had tonnes of friends who would have wanted to be there.

It’s a real shame.

I only hope things don’t get any worse for Jolene on her return …


Who ate all the canapés? Helen did. Helen did. Helen ate all the canapés.

So it took a baby to make Helen hungry.

That’s mean, as it’s actally really nice to hear Happy Helen rather than morbid/controlling/moping Helen.


What did Kenton say about Helen’s skirt?

“Love the ? skirt”

Any ideas?


No Kenton. You supporting your partner and step-son through the death of his father is not, I repeat not, a ‘test’

Kenton was really trying every and any justification for not going to New Zealand with Kathy and Jamie, or for driving them to the airport, or for not attending the party to send-off Sid

While he reckons he made the only choice he could make, I think he’s just got his priorities well and truly out of kilter.

Yes, it would have been annoying and difficult to have missed Jaxx’s re-opening, but surely any sane person would put their family first?

Or, does Kenton really just not care about Kathy and Jamie? Are they just becoming an inconvenience?

The cheek of the man complaining that Kathy hadn’t called him to wish him good luck on the opening of a bar he doesn’t even own, ON THE DAY OF SID’S FUNERAL.

Maybe it’s good that Jude thinks Kenton’s ‘cool’. They certainly have the same attitude to anything that isn’t directly about themselves …

10 comments:

Miriam said...

dirndl skirt. My youth reading Chalet School books has not gone to waste! (Not that I've actually stopped reading them, tbh...)

Kenton was so thoroughly, eminently punchable at the end of that episode that I wanted to throttle the radio. I didn't think it was possible to actually get your priorities *that* out of kilter.

Inga McVicar said...

Thank you muchly! Seemingly "based on the historical costume of Alpine peasants". Hmmmm!

Also hurrah to children's books from our youth. I read Magic Box of Delights every Christmas ...

If Kathy has any sense, she'll punch kenton for us.

Miriam said...

I have to say, I did hope that Helen wasn't wearing what I always imagine when I hear the word dirndl! Something a bit more boho might be in her line. Unless pregnancy is affecting her dress sense also.

Oh lovely! The TV series of that terrified me as a child. I always read a girl's school story called 'End of Term' at Christmas.

Please, let it be so. Actually, maybe Jamie will. That would be equally good!

Inga McVicar said...

Helen does seem to be a whole new woman since she got pregnant. And so far, all for the better. Could it be happy Helen from hereon ...?!?

I'm always on the hunt for good christmas books, so shall take your tip. Mucho cheers.

Jamie does seem to be fairly peed off with Kenton. Might be a chance for Jamie to show that he's growing up (by assaulting an adult!). Fingers crossed ...

Miriam said...

She does, doesn't she? Still irritating, mind you, but differently so! I'm hoping for happy Helen, but it's her fundamental instability that makes me wonder...

Antonia Forest is the author of that particular gem - all her children's books are wonderful. There are 4 that are school stories, and are pretty easy to get hold of (actually, I just remembered I have a duplicate copy of End of Term - would you like it?), but there are also 6 stories set in the holidays which feature the whole family, and they're super. She's a genuinely talented writer. *ahem* I appear to be off on one there...

There are worse ways of coming of age. At least, there are in The Archers. He could be saddled with the female version of Jude, for a kick off.

Inga McVicar said...

Yes - that's always the problem with Helen. I've found it hard to explain to others why some folks are so against her having a baby - it's not necessarily about a single woman having IVF, it's that Helen can be a tad random at times. And she's having it for all the wrong reasons. It surely can't end up happily?!?

I love it when I find an author I adore. Especially if they've written plenty! I have a bit of a penchant for Agatha Christie (more English village life!), but do try to read more cultured stuff to keep my street cred up!

That's very kind of you to offer a copy of End of Term. Marvellous! Do you have a copy/would like a copy of The Archers 1951-1967 (Joanna Toye)? I have a spare, and while it's not the best 'novel' I've ever read, it does give a great insight to some of the more mature folks of Ambridge.

If so - let's DM our addresses - and let's swap! Makes me feel like it's Saturday already ;-)

EEEK! I couldn't take anymore Jude types. I'd never even thought about Jamie/Josh et al about to head into puppy love. Teenage angst has its time and place, but doesn't quite sit well with me next to bees, sticky wickets and Open FarM Sunday ...

Miriam said...

I just picture the poor child being locked in the flat, aged 10, and not allowed anywhere near Jake and Mia because it might pick up germs or something!!! Helen is so lala I just can't trust her to actually make a reasonable mother.

Me too! I'm also a big Agatha Christie fan - have you got into Dorothy L Sayers or Marjorie Allingham? I LOVE Lord Peter Wimsey!

And I do not have that Joanna Toye book, so a swap would be super! Will dm you on Twitter :) Hurrah!

The conversations between Jamie and Josh about girls they clearly have done nothing with but are pretending they have are imminent, you know. The mind reels!! Let's hope Josh will make do with literal bees, rather than birds and for a while yet...

Inga McVicar said...

You're not wrong there about Helen's fastidiousness. Hilarious scenes between her and Annette when she was around (with Helen trying to clean up before Annette was even finished with her toast). Maybe Helen will mellow ...

How utterly marvellous! Discovered Sayers a few years ago (Five Red Herrings was based in my local area), and Allingham only a few months. Working my way through lost of green Penguins. Wimsey makes for a refreshing sleuth. Can't abide all the depressing blood and gore of modern criome authors. Far rather a respectable murder!

Cheers for the dm. Will send you mine back in a sec.

Yikes! Scary when the next generation find a voice, let alone have their own thoughts, life etc etc. Can't imagine the day when it's Helen/Tom/Adam/Alice/Deborah etc that are the older folks, and it's Josh running Brookfield.

Miriam said...

Helen - mellow?! I await that with baited breath! You know what state babies and toddlers get into when they start to feed themselves; how on earth will she manage? I predict a meltdown.

I only discovered Sayers about a year ago and can't believe I never encountered her before now - I fell in love with Agatha Christie in my teens. And I found Allingham around the same time. My best friend got me a DVD box set of the Campion TV series and also the Mrs Bradley Mysteries - it all makes for a happy Miriam! And yes, I much prefer a nice respectable murder!

It's an odd thought isn't it? Because all the kids are moving into teenage land, so we really are starting to see that shift along a bit.

Inga McVicar said...

You could be right. Helen's middle name seems to be meltdown. I do wish she could find her happy place ...

My word - just when I thought I was odd for my Christe, Sayers, Allingham, Archers passions - it's good to know it's not just me! Have you read Josephine Tey's The Franchise Affair? Well worth it.