Wednesday 20 October 2010

The Archers Fri 15th Oct 2010: Vicky's big veal deal

The Archers: Vicky's off to Birmingham ... Jazzer and Brenda fight over a slice of ham ... Peggy gets computer lessons ... Mike has a cunning plan

  • How many of you wished you could turn Vicky's voice off?
  • "This is the full Monty"
  • Breed!
  • Peggy gets a gold star!
  • A roaring trade in pasties
  • "It's like having a stray dog in the house"
  • Does Harry really know what he's letting himself in for?
  • The meat supplier says ...


How many of you wished you could turn Vicky's voice off?

Worried about the directions to her big meeting in Birmingham, Vicky didn't want to use her sat nav because:

[Vicky] "she just annoys me ... I end up shouting at her"

[Mike] "you could always turn the voice off"

I actually don't mind Vicky all that much (though she's far from one of my favourite residents), but I could hear many Archers Eavesdroppers wishing they could turn Vicky off just as easily!


"This is the full Monty"

Vicky on how big and important her potential veal client is:

"this isn't just your backstreet butcher, or half baked pie maker - this is the full Monty!"

Phew! That's a whole lotta nonsensical waffling m'lady!

And it would seem everything hangs on this client taking an order. As everyone else (apart from Ian and his 'best cuts') has said 'no'.

[Vicky] "you wouldn't believe how picky these people can be!"

Hmmm.

A tiny new supplier with a product there's no demand for.

Vicky really doesn't get this whole business thing, does she?


Breed!

Which is Scottish for bread.

Which Jazzer ate.

Which left Brenda with none to eat.

Oops.

Jazzer's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Making an effort to be clean, he still gets screeched at by Brenda for eating what she reckons was her lunch.

[Jazzer] "tom just said to come and help myself"

[Brenda] "you cleaned us out ... I don't want your sandwich. I want my own! You greedy pig!!!"

Now, I think Brenda was making far too much of a fuss over what was basically one slice of ham and a bit of bread.

Jazzer didn't expect her to come home for lunch:

"They let you out for dinner then eh? Con man Crawford and his missus"

And I think he was quite right to leg it as Brenda's rant reached a peak.

Brenda just doesn't want Jazzer around. Tom's being his usual blinkered self. Jazzer can't win.


Peggy gets a gold star!

Was it just me, or was Harry a tad patronising towards Peggy?

Why was he so surprised that Peggy could touch type, when typewriters have most definitely predate computer?

(but I will admit that Harry is starting to irk me. Just what is his angle?)

Peggy did actually sound like she knew what she was doing - maybe she just wanted to spend some one-on-one time with the hunky milkman?

Harry also sounded like he was enjoying his time with Peggy. Though it wasn't anything other than pupil/teacher appreciation:

"she's amazing isn’t she - a real super gran!"

And will we see Peggy on Twitter and Facebook soon? She sounded enthused by the idea of social networking, though I have a nasty suspicion she could end up downloading films without actually paying for them ...

Peggy wasn't so sure about things like Skyping. She thinks seeing someone you love, when they're actually far away, actually makes it harder.

Especially on kids.

Was that yet another dig at Kate?


A roaring trade in pasties

Never mind veal, Vicky and Tom should be battling over pasties!

Will had one the other week, now Mike has to make do with one after giving his lunch to Brenda.

(and I bet Brenda used to steal lunch money off the other kids at school. After all, she's happy to steal an older man's lunch!)

"It's like having a stray dog in the house"

What?

Since when were strays dogs "idiots" with "no respect, no consideration"?

If Brenda had meant Jazzer had cowered in a corner, piddled on the carpet, then ripped open a few cushions, I could have understood.

But that just didn’t work, Brenda.


Does Harry really know what he's letting himself in for?

Mike's plan to get Jazzer out of Brenda's life, is to foist him on Harry.

And Harry seems quite happy at the prospect.

Why oh why oh why???

Is this all part of Harry's plan, or is he just that dense?

Surely he can't have failed to notice that Jazzer hates him, and will make his life (and home) a living hell?

With Jazzer completely cornered - Brenda's given him until the morning to get out, and Harry has a room - he has no choice but to bed down in Harry's pad.

"it’s a great little room jazz, and you’d be just the man to fit it"

(queue the music for The Odd Couple!)


The meat supplier says ...

... no!

[Vicky] "it was horrible ... he said no ... he doesn't want it ... no continuity of supply ...demand ..."

[Vicky] "it's no god Mike. I’ve failed. I can't sell it. we should never have kept those calves"

Oh dear. I actually feel a bit sorry for Vicky.

6 comments:

Ruby said...

I think Peggy's interest in computers is all to do with the BBC's current on-click campaign

Inga McVicar said...

You could be right. I heard it on Radio 2 yesterday. All in a good cause, but when will the BBC spot telling Ambridge residents what to do?!?

Dani In NC said...

I don't know how old Peggy is supposed to be, but I know that the actress June Spencer is in her 90s. The whole time I was listening to this episode, I was thinking that Peggy sounded pretty comfortable with the computer and the lingo while my 60-year-old mother-in-law can't grasp the concepts at all!

I looked up info on the BBC's First Click campaign. I haven't seen anything like that here in the US. The website made it feel like a literacy campaign. I don't get the feeling that any company or agency here cares that much about groups like minorities or senior citizens getting on the internet.

Dani In NC said...

Also, if a slice of ham and a couple slices of bread completely emptied Brenda's fridge, then that is not Jazzer's fault. He has only been there for about a week. There have been several episodes in the past where Brenda has yelled at Tom because she's come home from work and there is no food in the fridge. I know that they both work, but they don't have any kids in the mix so one of them should have time to pick up some food. Either that, or they should do what my husband and I did before we had kids -- eat out a lot!

Inga McVicar said...

Peggy is 86 - so absolutely agree that she's amazing savvy when it comes to computing. I know of far (far!) younger people who just won't even try.

Yup - the projects to help get a wide range of people onto the internet are really great. My closest town runs free 'Silver Surfer' sessions, and I know a number of charities who use computer literacy to help folks with a whole range of issues.

I suppose the point being knowledge is power - and access to the internet certainly gains knowledge (as well as friends, jobs, hobbies etc).

Inga McVicar said...

*laughs* spot on about Brenda. Her and Tom could be helping The Bull by eating there more often.

I must admit that I can't abide Tom (so anyone shouting at him about anything is fine by me), but Brenda does seem to be a bit of a spoilt madam at times.

She just didn't want Jazzer in her house, so was after any excuse to get him out.

Jazzer isn't a perfect house guest (as Harry is finding out!), but I don't think he could ever have kept Brenda happy.