Wednesday 9 February 2011

The Archers Tues 8th Feb 2011: Lynda breaks her sniff record

  • Ruth knows she’s a farmer
  • You need to be fresh, not frazzled, for lambing
  • “I’m not one to complain, Roy …”
  • The first ‘shut up Kate!’ of 2011
  • “I’m not one to make a song and dance about status …”
  • Uh-oh – Lewis has a cough
  • Who is Graham Ryder?



Ruth knows she’s a farmer

Phew!

That’s a good start, I reckon


You need to be fresh, not frazzled, for lambing

Usha’s popped over to see Ruth, only to find she can’t stop for coffee and is rather stressed.

Ruth hasn’t had a break in 5 weeks, and was astonished to find out from David that Elizabeth had managed to persuade the trustees that she didn’t need a professional manager to be brought in.

While Ruth says she understands that David wants to support Elizabeth, she also needs some support from David herself before she collapses.

[Ruth] “I feel so mean going on like this. What are my problems compared to what Elizabeth is going through?”

Usha does manage to get Ruth to stop for a coffee, and gives Ruth her

[Usha] “You’re not on your own remedy”

Which basically means giving Ruth space to relax and have a friendly ear.



“I’m not one to complain, Roy …”

[Lynda] “I’m not one to complain Roy, you know that, but I do feel I’ve been rather shabbily treated in all this … I’m supposed to be senior receptionist here … so I’m rather concerned I wasn’t given advance notice of next week’s special visit”

[Roy] “It wasn’t possible, for security reasons”

[Lynda] “I’m, very disappointed I must say”

[Roy] “I presume this about you not being on duty that afternoon”

[Lynda] “Quite”

Lynda is very (very) sniffy about not knowing about Camilla’s visit, which has led to her not being on the rota.

And now no-one will swap their shift with her.

To make matters worse, Caroline actually suggested to Lynda that she could simply stand at the gate of Grey Gables with the “rest of the village”.

Oh dear. Did Lynda not appreciate the very idea that she’d have to be one of the great unwashed!

[Lynda] “I won’t be doing that … well, really!”

Lynda continues – appalled that her being in charge of the rotas really doesn’t mean that at all. She’s not allowed to change them in this instance, so that means she’s really not in charge at all.

Dear me. Lynda is in full toddler tantrum mode today. Lots and lots of sniffing.



The first ‘shut up Kate!’ of 2011

Interrupting Roy’s ‘chat’ with Lynda (which I suspect he was actually quite glad about), Kate’s on one. Again.

[Kate] “I’m getting really fed up of Hayley calling me up and implying that I’m a bad mother”

[Roy] “Why do you think that is?”

[Kate] “ … because I’m taking Phoebe on the trip of her life, because I’m enriching her life with a new culture and new relationships”

[Roy] “No, because you won’t think things through before you make rash promises … what’s so difficult about talking to use first? We could avoid all these traumas …”

[Kate] “What don’t you trying thinking of Phoebe for a change!”

(big pause while Roy gathered his anger – I was right there with him!)

[Roy] “Meaning what, exactly!?!?!”

Kate was stupid enough to try and make out that Hayley and Roy only cared about her missing some school – and that they should be thinking about the horrific time she’s had as Lily and Freddie’s pal (really? I didn’t know they were so close).

As Roy pointed out, Hayley’s been spending a lot of time looking after and helping Lily and Freddie, as well as Phoebe.

So it was a bad argument for Kate to pick.

Not to be outdone, Kate then picks on Roy not wanting to pay for Phoebe’s trip. Which he didn’t say, but cost is obviously an issue – especially as neither Roy nor Hayley seem to be that well off.

As Roy tells Kate to leave, she tells him that they won’t have to pay a penny.

Hmmm.

Either Brian’s going to have to pay, or Kate will yet again break another promise to Phoebe, but will blame Roy and Hayley.

Is it too late to turn Kate back into a silent character?



“I’m not one to make a song and dance about status …”

Robert has taken Lynda to The Bull for one of Freda’s pies, and to get away from the stress at Grey Gables.

[Lynda] “I’m just feeling undervalued … you know me Robert, I’m not one to make a song and dance about status …”

[Robert] “You’re the last one, I’d say”

Ah bless Robert, and his Lynda coloured spectacles.

Robert then has a moment of sheer brilliance in its simplicity.

Instead of trying to swap a shift, surely Grey Gables needs to increase their staffing on “an important occasion like this”

[Lynda] “Oh Robert, I’ve said this before, but you really are a genius!”

And so it came to pass. Lynda told a sniggering Roy, and a slightly bemused Caroline, of her plan – and that she would “step into the breach” without pay.

Caroline tells her she will be paid, but one does wonder if she ever regrets hiring Lyndee in the first place …


Uh-oh – Lewis has a cough

Well, quite a “horrid” one, according to Caroline.

With things slightly slipping at Lower Loxley (Roy will have to organise most of a forthcoming event Grey Gables is holding there), Lewis having to go off sick really would be disaster.

I see Ruth ever inching further towards Brian’s arms …


Who is Graham Ryder?

Seriously – anyone know?

It would seem he’s Ruth and David’s last hope of a normal life – the last chance they have of Elizabeth seeing sense and bringing in a manager.

Who he???

1 comment:

Inga McVicar said...

One of my blog subscribers has solved the "who he" question: Graham Ryder is a bit of a creep who used to ogle Shula. Some sort of land agent. Shula used to work for Rodway and Watson - local estate agents- and Ryder was also employed by them I think. Was always a bit of a wimp and Shula saw him off PDQ.. He always made my skin crawl.