Friday 24 September 2010

The Archers Fri 24th Sept 2010: Kathy asks Elizabeth to be honest

The Archers: Hayley's already irritated by Kate ... Lucy's had her baby ... Jolene seems back on form ... We Love The Bull gathers pace ... Elizabeth's a really bad sister (I mean REALLY bad)

  • Those Peregrines are awfully fickle
  • Fallon's more interested in Harry's 'furniture'
  • Hello Sidney Gemmell 
  • I'd forgotten about the Golf Club Dinner
  • Jolene speaks!
  • How we can show We Love The Bull
  • Hayley needs to be "a saint"
  • Really Elizabeth! There was no call for that.



Those Peregrines are awfully fickle

Is it just me, or is there actually no story to tell about the Peregrines?

It's almost edging on there being some controversy, but no-one actually seems to really have a problem with them.

Maybe we'll have 'Lynda's Peregrine 101' lessons alongside Jill and her bees.


Fallon's more interested in Harry's 'furniture'


Actually, I shouldn't have put quotation marks around the word furniture - as it was only the furniture that Fallon was indeed interested in.

Or was it?

Helping to save Harry from his "underfurnished existence", Fallon's too engrossed to even listen to Harry properly about the We Love The Bull campaign.

[Fallon]"surely you want a deep sumptuous rug to roll around in?"

Hmmm.

The later on:

"I didn't manage to persuade harry to buy the rug that i liked"

Aha!

So, can we take it that Fallon wants a roll in the rug with Harry?!?


Hello Sidney Gemmell


Lucy has had a baby boy, and named him after her dad.

Erm ... and that's all there is to say. The poor chap has hardly been born to trumpeting angels!


I'd forgotten about the Golf Club Dinner

And that was why Nigel was talking to Kenton about his lack of control when drinking.

Is the moral of the tale going to be Kenton's descent in alcoholism?


Jolene speaks!

Hurrah! Jolene held a whole conversation, gave advice and had an opinion.

Is this sign of a recovery?

Bad timing though. She finally manages to engage with another human being, but it's a damn shame it was Kathy AND Jolene was telling her that maybe Kenton was trying to make things better.

If you're going to try and keep Kathy and Kenton together, you probably should just go back to your aimless wandering, Jolene. That's though, but Kenton and Kathy have been very tough on us.


How we can show We Love The Bull


The Ambridge residents have decided to make t-shirts (ready for next week), for Jim to run a quiz night (hmmm. Will anyone get an answer right?) and for the flower tubs to be tidied.

But there seems to be a problem about changing the menu. Fallon seems to think that even suggesting it would tip Jolene back over the edge.

(am I missing something? Was Sid fanatical about the menu? Does it staying the same keep his memory alive?!?)

Yet her worries were unfounded. Delighted about the quiz and flower tubs:

"oh no ... you're not serious? .. oh! ... that's fantastic ... thank you!"

Jolene sounded like she was bear hugging Harry and Fallon when they (very gently) raise the issue of the menus:

"I ain't worried darling ... oh come here you two ... you're gorgeous ... so nice you care about the pub"

Hurrah and hooray! Is Jolene back? Has The Bull already been saved by simply showing how much We Love The Bull through a few flowers, some old academic bloke asking questions and changing from straight cut chips to curly fries?!?

We shall see.

But just in case - make sure you support The Bull on Twitter (follow @welovethebull) and Facebook (click here for the We Love The Bull cause)

The BBC article should also bring on more supporters - click see to see it

By the by - another thought I had was that maybe we should be actually going to The Bull when doors open, until doors close.

That seemed to be Jazzer's approach. Bum on seat. Beer in hand. Cash in till.

Now where did I put The Bull's address ....


Hayley needs to be "a saint"


Hayley's still livid about Phoebe going to stay with Kate for a week.

Seemingly Kate's while attitude is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Somehow, I think it;s Roy who's going to have to be the saint in all of this.

Regardless of whether Kate does 'do a Kate' or not, Hayley's going to find fault.

(and all this without Kate saying a word today!)


Really Elizabeth! There was no call for that.

Well, Kathy did ask for honesty, but Elizabeth didn't really need an excuse to drop Kenton in it.

After having had a chat with Jolene, Kathy seems to think it;s worth talking to Elizabeth to see if Kenton has indeed changed. That he's been making an effort with Jamie has given her some hope.

And who better to ask than his own sister. Who never holds back from criticising, blaming. judging (etc. etc.) Kenton.

[K] "what do you think?"

[E] "I'm not sure it's for me to say ..."

[K] "maybe I've blamed Kenton too much."

[E] "I really can't answer"

But it felt like one of those moments when you offer a friend petrol money, they refuse, but you know you're both just being polite until they take it.

Except, in this instance, it's a bit more of a sensitive subject.

I felt really sad for Kathy (which is the first in many, many weeks), as she did seem to genuinely hope that Kenton was being more "mature and responsible".

After all of those heated arguments, maybe she did realise that she loves him.

Or, at least was lonely without him.

Either way, Kathy felt that maybe she had been unfair, and maybe they should give it another go, or at least give Kenton another chance.

After all, Nigel told her to. As did Jolene, Clarrie and Pat.

Maybe she could have saved herself a lot of time by heading straight to Elizabeth:

[K] "Just tell me - do you think i should give Kenton another chance? You can be honest"

[E] "My brother's not going to change. As far as I can see, he will always be the same ..."

(here it comes)

[E] "He was with somebody else, Kathy"

[K] "but ... who ... no, forget it ... no, it doesn't matter ... oh ..."

(after Elizabeth saying it was only a one night stand)

[K] "and that's meant to make me feel better?"

[K] "Of all the things he could have done ... and after everything ... right ... well ... that's that I suppose. Thank you for telling me ... I can never forgive him for this ... There is nothing to say. As far as I'm concerned, it's all over"

Phew! That was a long time coming.

But at the end, quite sad.

If I did believe the The Archers wasn't real, I'd have said that the 'actor' 'playing' Kathy did a wonderful performance tonight.

But as that's not what I believe - Kathy, I think you were impeccable.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

but what did Kathy expect after giving Kenton all that gip.

Ruby said...

I'm glad it's not just me. I was beginning to think that I had missed about the peregrines too.

And, slightly off topic, I've just entered my email in the "subscribe via email" box, but it seems to think I am subscribing to something called "dumfries and galloway photographer". I'm confused. Help

Gay Nicholson said...

What I can't understand is how Kathy seems completely to have forgotten Kenton's sensitive, unfaltering support during her long ordeal with the rape trial.

The Archers Fan said...

Hello anon and Gary,

For me - they are both as bad as each other.

Sid's death has just brought all the niggles and problems to the fore.

Despite everything they've been through, Kenton can't compete with Sid, and Kathy doesn't seem to have ever stopped loving Sid.

When all's said and done - if they truly loved each other, they'd be fighting harder to stay together. Kathy's nagging is (I think) her trying to push him away - as is Kenton's partying trying to push Kathy away.

Armchair psychology aside - it seems it's just time for them to end it.

Hopefully quietly ...

The Archers Fan said...

Hi Ruby,

Cheers for letting me know there was a problem with the email function. All sorted now - but let me know if there's any more problems.

And I'm just as glad it was just me re the peregrines. Wonder what that's all about ...???

gilgaMark said...

Run away Kenton ! Run fast and run far ! She is too old and too sour for you.