Friday 12 August 2011

The Archers Friday 5th August 2011: Clarrie Resigns

  • Washing Lampshades is never a good sign
  • Lilian would have been more canny
  • I really dislike James calling Lilian “Ma”
  • Clarrie takes the bullet
  • Lilian tells Matt
  • Start a whip round for the Grundys?



Washing Lampshades is never a good sign

Which is what Clarrie is doing.

You know when you get to ‘those’ type of jobs, you’re actually heading for a meltdown.

Eddie is trying to do his best to keep Clarrie positive about those sick on hospital:

[Eddie] “I know it’s tough love, but you’ll see, they’ll be fine”

But he does tend to just offer the ‘chin up’ variety of support. Which, for something like this, doesn’t really cut it.

(sorry Eddie)


Lilian would have been more canny

Lilian was telling Pat that she was surprised Pat had done the Radio Borchester interview.

[Lilian] “You never know what they’re going to cut out”

Lilian also, very helpfully, told Pat that she came across a bit cold.

So – Pat should have gone to Lilian for her PR advice.

Actually, it would’ve been more use than the NFU advice.

And where is Brenda while all this has been going on?

At least Pat has Kathy to give her something positive. Kathy thought Pat did “really well”

[Pat] “I hardly sounded sympathetic, did I?”

[Kathy] “It was fine. You sounded very professional”

‘Fine’ is never a good review.

Looks like Eddie isn’t the only one not doing very well to support the walking wounded.


I really dislike James calling Lilian “Ma”

Actually, I just really dislike James.

He’s such a pretentious little toad. And normally the sort of chap Lilian would sniff out as such within seconds.

But there’s no accounting for a mother’s blind adoration.

James has returned – with Leonie.

*sigh*

I’d forgotten how irritatingly awful those two are together – they were bad enough singular!


Clarrie takes the bullet

After hearing the Radio Borchester interview, especially that Pat never mentioned how E. coli got into the diary in the first place, Clarrie goes round to see Pat.

[Clarrie] “It hasn’t been out of my mind for a second. I’ll never forgive myself for having let you down … you’ve been ever so good to me, even after all this. You could have just fired me, I deserved it … I know I’ll never be able to put right what I’ve done … I know I’ve got to resign. It’s the best for all of us”

[Pat] “I’ll accept your resignation, if I’m honest there’s not going to be much work in the diary anyway … if we can find our way out of this mess … I hope I’ll be able to offer you work here again”

So that’s that then.

I don’t suppose Pat could have said anything else – she has less work in the diary and Clarrie leaving does mean they can 100% say that the cause of the E. coli is no more.

But does this mean everyone will now know it’s all Clarrie’s fault?


Lilian tells Matt

Where to find the lime. Though he fails:

[Matt] “Lilian, I can’t find this ruddy lime”

So, he offers lemon instead.

Actually – Lilian does tell Matt what’s what over something a bit more important:

[Lilian] “I think they’re going to make an announcement … for goodness sake Matt , what do you think. You wondered why james was so friendly on the phone with you … there are some moments in this life that are more important than business … I’m putting my foot down”

James and Leonie have dropped heavy hints that both Matt and Lilian MUST be at the Garden Party, and with the mention of an announcement, course Lilian must think they’re about to get engaged.

Not that Matt will give a monkey about that. he’d still rather be at the barbeque doing business…


Start a whip round for the Grundys?

Eddie arrived home to not tea on the go (cheeky monkey for mentioning it) – but it does mean something odd.

Clarrie’s not doing anything. She’s just sitting.

She tells Eddie that she’s resigned.

[Clarrie] “I didn’t want to, goodness knows, but I’ve ruined everything”

She’s sorry she didn’t discuss and agree it with Eddie first, and that it’s going to mean very tight times for the Grundy household. They haven’t even paid last month’s electricity bill.

[Eddie] “Well, we’re just going to have to manage, ain’t we.

“Look, we’ve been through tough times before. We’ll get through this. We’ll just have to work that little bit harder. Nothing new. Don’t you worry, we’ll survive somehow”

I wonder if Tom will lose any sleep …


1 comment:

Ruby said...

I also get irritated by James's calling his mother 'Ma' (even more irritated than I already am when he opens his mouth). Reminds me of the days when I was forced to watch Eastenders and Nick Cotton called his mum 'Ma' while secretly taking her for a ride. Oh, hang on...