Tuesday 8 March 2011

The Archers Tues 1st Mar 2011: Kenton and Jolene Declare!

  • Blood and feathers on the churchyard wall
  • George wants a red racing car, not a baby
  • Music clubs and currywurst
  • It’s not lack of sleep that’s making Helen yawn
  • Is Emma just thick?
  • Helen’s back to DVDs and being stubborn
  • Hurrah! Happiness in Ambridge!!!!



Blood and feathers on the churchyard wall

That really should be a The Smiths song title.

It would seem the Peregrines are back – which Lynda is delighted about, but Emma doesn’t like. The sight of “lumps of dead bird” doesn’t take her fancy at all.


George wants a red racing car, not a baby

Quite right mate.



Music clubs and currywurst

Was the sum total of Tom and Brenda’s trip to Berlin.

That sounds a bit of alright.

Please don’t tell me I’m getting as dull as those two …



It’s not lack of sleep that’s making Helen yawn

And it’s not The Bull chucking out time (though that both the pub and the village shop are keeping Helen awake adds up to Helen moving home soon, I reckon).

It’s Helen boring herself.

As all new mums do, she’s entranced by the sight of her baby sneezing. And thinks it makes for good general chat.

Mais non!

Lucky it was just the proud grandmum Pat she was talking to. Not sure if Kirsty would be coping with another round of mumstalk

But beware Helen … even Thatcher didn’t manage to function on less than 5 hours …




Is Emma just thick?

She certainly isn’t taking the hint from Clarrie that she’s unlikely to ever beat Nic in the favourite daughter-in-law stakes (unless she starts to genuinely care – rather than try to force herself to care).

Though I agree with Clarrie that Emma’s choice of names isn’t that great – it’s that she doesn’t know about the connotations of ‘Scarlett woman’ which also leads me to think she’s a tad thick.

Emma wants Sky or Charlie for a boy (she only mentioned Charlie after Clarrie said she liked Charles), and Scarlett for a girl.

After Scarlett Johansson – rather than Scarlett O’Hara (which Emma reckoned she’d just ‘forgotten’ about).

On Clarrie saying she thought it’d be a bad name because of the jokes the child would suffer in later life, Emma just didn’t get it.

[Emma] “What?”

[Clarrie] “Well it’s in the bible Emma – a Scarlett woman, well she’s no better than she ought to be”

Hmmm. One would have thought Emma would see herself in that description …

Anyway, Emma offers to help Clarrie with Eddie’s birthday picnic, but Nic has beaten her to it.

Emma will be fighting to get to cut Joe’s toenails next …


Helen’s back to DVDs and being stubborn

Helen reckons she’s going to properly slop out in front of a DVD (very Helen-like), and is refusing to move back home, even part-time, to make her life easier (very, very Helen-like).

But, she did also came out with:

[Helen] “You can’t expect the whole world to be quiet just because you have a baby”

Now that is very un-Helen like indeed. The world used to revolve round Helen. Now it’s Henry – Helen seems to have (sometimes) gained some perspective.


Hurrah! Happiness in Ambridge!!!!

Kenton goes round to Jolene to talk to her about The Bull.

I’ll leave (most of) the rest up to them:

[Kenton] “ …even if he’s going to rip anything out … turn it into flats?”

[Jolene] “I don’t know. I don’t care what Matt will do with it … what’s it matter to you?”

[Kenton] “ … Ambridge without The Bull, it’s unthinkable.”

[Jolene - sarcastically] “Fantastic. One less place to have a beer. That’s what’s bugging you … losing one of your locals”

[Kenton] “No it isn’t. I couldn’t give a damn about the pub. It’s … it’s you. I don’t want to see you go”

[Jolene - quietly] “You don’t want ,me to leave Ambridge?”

[Kenton] “No”

[Jolene] “Why not?”

[Kenton - softly] “Why do you think …?”

[Jolene] “I don’t know … I didn’t think it would make any difference to you”

(Kenton then tries to walk away from it, telling Jolene to forget it)

[Jolene] “I don’t get it, why did you pull the plug on me last week?”

[Kenton] “I didn’t want to. I had to … we were (getting on) much too well … the way that I feel about you. It isn’t … um, appropriate .. you’ve been depressed, you’re vulnerable, It’s totally wrong of me to care for you too much …”

[Jolene] “Don’t you think I should be judge of that?”

[Kenton, stunned] “What?”

[Jolene] “Hearts don’t work to a timetable, do they? I couldn’t work out why I was so mad with you last week … it really hurt. So I asked myself why. I realised … I have feelings an all”

[Kenton – even more stunned] “No!”

[Jolene] “Yes. You do mean it?”

(which is worth checking – it is Kenton …)

[Kenton] “Yes … I didn’t know what it was until I was talking to Kirsty …”

[Jolene] “Oh – the two of us! Ain't you meant to get wiser as you get older!”

Ah – that was a real grinning, breath of freshly buzzing air.

Marvellous!

Kenton and Jolene have agreed to take things slow – but could you also already hear the rather husky, racy tones of Jolene returning?

They were giggling like teenagers at the end. And Kenton asked Jolene out this Thursday – to which Jolene replied:

[Jolene] “oh yea, I’d really like that Kenton”

(and I somehow think they won’t be taking things too slow, or ‘just as friends’ for very long at all …)

No comments: