Sunday 9 October 2011

The Archers Sunday 9th October 2011: The Harvest supper 2011

(James and Leonie don’t make it … hurrah!)

  • There were never such devoted sisters …
  • Jim’s trippin’
  • Jim’s heartbroken
  • Will comes clean about Emma
  • Jim's not allowed to drop quiche, Tony to avoid coiffing
  • Christmas Around the World with Jim
  • Robert’s a bit of a dirty auld yin



There were never such devoted sisters …

Tony and Pat are at the Harvest Supper – but Tony is sounding a bit dour.


[Pat] “We’ve been given a breathing space, thanks to Lilian”


[Tony] “We’ll have to pay her back, you know”


[Pat] “I don’t think she’ll press us for it”


[Tony] “She’s very generous, unlike my other sister …”


[Pat] “One out of two isn’t bad”

Seems Tom is meeting with Underwoods tomorrow – which makes Pat a bit depressed (as it won’t make a difference for her and Tony) – at which point Tony chides Pat that she’s now “looking on the dark side”, and that they’re out to try and put their troubles behind them for a night.

They’ll be needing more cider …


Jim’s trippin’

[Tony] “You don’t to be too full to trip the light fantastic”

[Jim] “Tripping is about right where dancing and I are concerned”

Seems Jim doesn’t dance, so just wants to sit and admire Ruth’s (last minute*) decorations.

(*last minute as Pip offered Brookfield, then her “enthusiasm waned” leaving it all down to poor Ruth)


Jim’s heartbroken

First – that Lynda has announced Leonie and James will be at the Harvest Supper.

[Jim] “They are a menace … they nearly had me disqualified from the flower and produce show … moved my tomatoes, out them into the middle of the flower arrangements for their photo ...siad it made for a more edgy composition”

But – on the news later that James and Leonie can’t make it, after delays on the motorway, Jim is slightly chirpier.

So – it’s left to Lynda:

[Lynda] “with my restaurant’s critic’s hat on”

To write up for James and Leonie’s book, and Robert to takes the photos.

A thankless task on all fronts …


Will comes clean about Emma

[Will] “There’s something I want to talk to you about … just that I’ve been thinking .. you’ve been so straight with me about what’s been going on with you and Andre … I think I should try to be the same … about Emma”

Yikes! Is there ever a more terrifying phrase to be uttered than hearing your partner say they want “to talk”.

And worse still that it seems to be Will wanting to talk to Nic about Emma.

So – here’s what he had to say:

[Will] “How much does it bother you that Emma and I were once married?”

[Nic] “ … it doesn’t. That’s all in the past.”

[Will] “Is it?”
(eek!)

[Nic] “Isn’t it?”

[Will] “Well not for Emma it seems … otherwise why is she so sharp with you?”

[Nic] “Only sometimes”

[Will] “Too many times”

Nic reckons it’s for her to deal with Emma being harsh to her, but Will is worried that he doesn’t stand up for Nic as often as he should. Or, worse still, that Nic doesn’t know when he does stick up for her.

[Will] “I’m absolutely on your side Nic. Always, always.”

And then, he tells Nic what he really feels about Emma.

(which actually isn’t much of a revelation – more of a clearing of the air)

[Nic] “It must have been hard, though. I know how much Emma hurt you”

[Will] “She did … I don’t still have feelings for her, not anymore. You do believe me, do you?”

[Nic] “It’s just that I know how long I know it took me to get over Andrew”

[Will] “It’s taken me a long time too, maybe I wasn’t always quite honest with myself about that … I am over her. I truly am. And I can see her for what she is. I love you Nic. I love you. And that’s all that matters to me now”

[Nic] “And it’s all that matters to me. And you don’t have to worry about Emma. I can handle her “

Aw.

The sound of wedding bells is back on in my mind, then.


Jim not allowed to drop quiche, Tony to avoid coiffing 

Robert and Lynda are trying to pose Jim, Tony and Pat for a photo for Leonie and James’ book.

Jim’s pretending to be eating – but is told not to drop the quiche (as if he will – he’s starving!).

And as for Tony.

[Lynda] “or maybe raising your glass to your lips rather than actual coiffing”

And Pat:

[Lynda] “Just look animated Pat, like you’re fascinated by their conversation”

(as if – Pat isn’t an actress!)

[Jim] “I mean this is photography we’re talking about, not like sitting for Rembrandt!”

There then ensues a slight disagreement about whether photography is an art form. Which it clearly is.
(I do declare an interest – my business partner is a photographer. You know I never plug - but just this once Amicus Photography)


Christmas Around the World with Jim

Lynda was trying to get all who was within earshot to volunteer their talents to the Christmas concert Christmas Around the World.

(I’m still devastated that there is no Panto)

She’s targeting Jim – who, despite being a big supporter of community projects, states he doesn’t like them when he has to “make a fool of himself”.

[Lynda] “But you won’t. A man of culture and learning like you”

[Jim] “I can’t sing, and I don’t play a musical instrument”

[Tony] “Juggling?”

[Pat] “Bit of tap dancing?”

[Jim] “My cultural interests are historical, philosophical and literary”

[Lynda] “There you are then! You can read a poem!”

[Tony] “But, Bert will be doing that, won’t he?”

[Lynda] “Bert? He’s hardly the poet laureate is he?”

(ooh – bit harsh on ol’ Bert there)

But Jim does relent – and agrees to read a poem.

He reels a few Latin sounding poets (Ovid, Virgil and a few lesser known ones I couldn’t write down in time).

[Pat] “Yes but Jim, you’re not going to read them in Latin, are you?”

[Jim] “Of course! That’s how they were written”

Oh joy.

I’d prefer a wee Santa ditty, myself.


Robert’s a bit of a dirty auld yin

Cheeky monkey.

Everyone’s keen to see the photos he’s taken at the Harvest Supper and the Barn Dance,
Robert’s not keen for anyone to look at the Barn Dance ones. He reckons they’re not up to much.

[Tony] “Nothing worth looking at? I wouldn’t say so!”

[Pat] “Are they all of Sabrina Thwaite?”

[Robert] “Well, she didn’t mind posing, that was the thing Lyndee”

[Pat] “She does like to show off her new outfits …”

[Jim] “ … how they stay on is the mystery”

[Tony] “I suppose they cling to all the right places”

Lynda is aghast.

She thinks the photos of the Barn Dance are totally unsuitable for James and Leonie’s book. So, she takes back the camera.

[Jim] “She’s quite wrong. Those pictures of Sabrina are the only thing that might sell their wretched book …”

No comments: