Thursday 30 June 2011

The Archers Wednesday 29th June 2011: Caroline says no

  • 5 years for Oliver and Caroline
  • Fingers crossed Josh is no Jamie
  • I’ll help George make Billy Goats Gruff
  • Caroline won’t be Keira’s godmother
  • Nigel’s in the vineyard?
  • Kids in bed, Emma and Ed start to get fruity
  • Is Emma seriously that thick?



5 years for Oliver and Caroline

But Oliver is at a bit of a loose end.

Caroline’s working, so he’s just planning to cook her a nice supper.

But wait … what’s this? … Caroline!

Seems Caroline got Ed to help her keep Oliver unoccupied, so she could surprise him by taking the day off, so they could go clay pigeon shooting and have a nice lunch.

[Oliver] “I’ve been had! And I couldn’t be more delighted”

Aw. That’s nice.


Fingers crossed Josh is no Jamie

Ruth reckons Josh is “turning into a typical teenager”.

He’s sulking as he can’t get the day off to go to the Borchester Show. And he even gelled his hair before he went to Phoebe’s birthday party yesterday.

Hardly the stuff of rebellion, but I do hope (for all our sakes) that Josh’s passage into young manhood is calmer than some folks we can think of …


I’ll help George make Billy Goats Gruff

Because it wouldn’t take that much time, or effort.

Whereas George wanting to enter the Scarecrow competition is far low down Emma’s priorities.

[Emma] “Like me and Ed have got the time. I had to say no”

Now that’s just not true, is it, Emma?


Caroline won’t be Keira’s godmother

[Caroline] “You’re a believer … but I can’t in all honestly make that kind of religious commitment that goes with the role”

Though she’s Will’s godmother (is that right?), Caroline’s feels she’s changed since then, and it would be now be hypocritical.

Which is fair enough. Especially as she’s still happy to be a “secular godmother”. Which basically means doing all the fun stuff like ballet and pretty things (if Keira grows up to be that way inclined).



Nigel’s in the vineyard?

Most certainly so, according to Elizabeth.

Kenton finds her hiding out there.

[Elizabeth] “if anywhere, he’s here”

Elizabeth talks about how she feels like:

[Elizabeth] “I have to keep control of everything”

And if she doesn’t, everything will just slip out of her grasp.

Taking his moment, Kenton tries to talk to her about David.

[Elizabeth] “I don’t like feeling like I do about David, you know. I hate it. And I hate what it’s doing to the rest of the family. I can’t help it … I can’t get it out of my head. I can’t get past it.”

So while she’s sorry that this is all tearing her family apart – and folks like Pip are even visibility scared of her – she can’t even bring herself to do things like going to Brookfield, as that would be a betrayal of Nigel.

[Elizabeth] “You can all stop hoping. There’s not going to be some sort of reconciliation between me and David … I don’t think I can ever forgive him for what he did”


Kids in bed, Emma and Ed start to get fruity

But are interrupted by Oliver calling round. Again.

Ah well. Considering how much Emma is stressing over having to look after two kids, probably best there’s no chance of a third.

Is Emma seriously that thick?

A question I’ve asked often before.

Emma could be thick. Or she might just have a complete lack of empathy.

Oliver was round to tell Emma and Ed of Caroline’s decision to only be a secular godmother.

You could actually hear Emma trying to understand principles …

[Emma] “What’s that all about? Taking it all so seriously …”

[Ed] “She’s not going to agree with something she doesn’t agree with”

Thick, lack of empathy, or just sees a christening as a nice day out?

No comments: