Sunday 18 September 2011

The Archers Friday 16th September 2011: Will and Ed pretend to be mates

  • The Tony Archer clan want Clarrie to know they care
  • Vicky is relieved
  • The Bridge Farm brand is not for dumping!
  • Ed and Will get cosy
  • It wasn’t about money
  • Meg stole George’s sausage roll



The Tony Archer clan want Clarrie to know they care

Pat’s wondering to Tony if she should go to see Clarrie. To tell her that she’s glad Clarrie got home okay.

[Pat] “I’m still very fond of her. I feel I should tell her”

[Tony] “I don’t think that’s a good idea, not right now. They’re all rallying round as a family … and I’ve been round to see her, she knows how we feel”

Tom also joins in. Pretending he gives a hoot for Clarrie …

[Tom] “Mum, it’s business. We had to let her go. Clarrie understand that. It doesn’t mean we’ve stopped caring for her”

What an ar*e. Does anyone buy that Tom actually cares for Clarrie?

[Pat] “He's got such and uncomplicated view of life has Tom”

[Tony] “That’s because he doesn’t see anyone else’s point of view”
Though Pat thinks that the whole Clarrie situation has emphasised just how family is more important than business – but I still reckon Tom would rather have money in his own pocket, than help Pat and Tony.

He’d even sell Peggy if he was offered the chance …


Vicky is relieved

That Clarrie is back home, though:

[Vicky] “I’ll never forgive myself for what I said …”
Vicky calls round to see Clarrie.

[Vicky] “I only said it because I was disgusted with Derek Fletcher’s comment … I felt terrible … I just wanted to say I was sorry. And are we friends again?”

[Clarrie] “Definitely. Life’s too short, innit"

(innit? When did Clarrie speak street lingo?)

And there we have it.

Saint Clarrie returns.


The Bridge Farm brand is not for dumping!

Pat’s still worried about Tony and Tom not talking.

So Tony has a chat with Tom.

Tony  tells Tom that he does understand about Tom rebranding.

[Tony] “If you feel that severing the link with Bridge Farm and bringing back the Tom Archer brand is the only way ahead, the last thing I’d want to do is stand in your way”

[Tom] “It’s not the way I want to go … but I have no choice”

Aye you do, Tom. In my humble opinion, you could choose to stand with and help your parents.

Tony asks Tom to still work with them to get the Bridge Farm brand back on an even level – which Tom does say yes to – but stipulates that Tony and Pat need to support (back off?) Tom and Helen in modernising.

(yup, he’s on about social networking gain … )

[Tony] “Your mum and I only wanted one thing for this busi9ess, and that was to hand it over to you and Helen, hopefully ins flourishing state”

(you know what Tony? If Helen wasn’t around – I’d say sell up now and retire. Forget about that selfish little numpty Tom)

While Tom did admit that he should have been a bit more “tolerant” of Pat and Tony when the poop really hit the fan – he’s now adamant that they’ve killed the Bridge Farm brand.

[Tony] “No way, Your mum and I have spent out lives building up that brand, I’m not about to give it up yet”

Quite right Tony. Dig in, do your best … and also disinherit your (remaining) son. He doesn’t deserve you.


Ed and Will get cosy

Only for Clarrie’s sake, though.

Ed suggests that Clarrie needs cheering up.

[Ed] “What I was thinking we could go round there together, like we’re mates”

[Will] “That’s pushing it a bit far!”

[Ed] “Yeah, I know what you mean … “

[Will] “What do you get out of it? You and Emma after some free babysitting are you?”

[Ed] “Course we’re not. You’ve got a really cynical attitude, you have”

Will relents, as it is for Clarrie, so agrees to go round with Ed. And to pay for half of the box of chocolates Ed already bought for Clarrie.

Odd thing, though. When Ed bought the chocolates from Vicky in the village shop, they were £10. He tells will they were £9.50. And is a tad irritated that Will gives him a fiver, and makes a point of asking for 25p back.

(I don’t have an answer for what that’s all about. Just that it was odd)

[Will] “Don’t expect me to act as if we’re best mates though. I can’t do the impossible!”

But they do manage to stay civil to each other, long enough to make Clarrie feel at home.

Ed is amazed at Eddie and Joe’s rather caring behaviour.

[Clarrie] “You're all getting me into bad habits. I could get used to this”

It’s come about in a really horrible way – but about time Clarrie was cared for.


It wasn’t about money

Tony is telling Pat about Tom’s opinion about the Bridge Farm brand.

That it’s now “toxic”

[Pat] “Oh Tony, we’ve put everything into that brand … we can’t let it go Tony, after all that … when you think what the name Bridge Farm used to stand for. I can’t believe it’s all gone …”

[Tony] “Things we wanted to achieve … it wasn’t about getting rich … what mattered in those days was local food, local jibs, creating a great environment …”

[Pat] “We were there long before it become fashionable … I’d still rather have all those things than make money”

[Tony] “Well, our kids aren’t like that. They’ve both got business heads on their shoulders”

[Pat] “Well maybe that’s what it needs, A bit less of the romantic stuff .. .who knows it might be a winning formula, us with our organic ideals, and those two with their hefty dose of market realism …”

[Tony] “… but while there’s life left in the business, the Bridge Farm name stays”

Still think they should just disinherit Tom …


Meg stole George’s sausage roll

And George thought it was brilliant.

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

No comments: