Sunday 18 September 2011

The Archers Thursday 15th September 2011: Clarrie comes home

  • Joe doing the housework
  • Why did Clarrie leave?
  • Clarrie is useless?
  • Joe says his bit to Tony
  • That kid is out of hospital
  • Clarrie comes home
  • Eddie on a PR spin mission
  • Eddie loves Clarrie



Joe doing the housework

Ed was quite rightly left stunned and wondering if he’d walked into a parallel universe.

[Joe] “If you’re coming in, you’d better take them boots off”

[Ed] “Now there’s something I thought I’d never see, you washing the kitchen floor”

[Joe] “Well, we can’t have the place looking like a bullock yard when Clarrie gets back … I hope them overalls of yours ain't mucky, I don’t want them cushions smelling of jersey cow”

Why did Clarrie leave?

[Clarrie] “When I heard Vicky Tucker say them words, ‘that dirty woman’, something just snapped … I knew I had to get away, you understand that Eddie … so I though that’s it ... I've had enough”

Seems Clarrie was picked up by a “nice chap” in a delivery van into town (he’d seen her struggling along with her bags). Then she got the coach to Peterborough.

Then … she slept in the bus station. There wasn’t a way out to Yarmouth that night.

Eddie is aghast.

Even more so when Clarrie tells him that her sister Rosie had made her call home …

Clarrie is useless?

[Clarrie] “You see! I’m useless. It’d be better for everyone if I wasn’t around”

Nooo Clarrie. No.

[Eddie] “It's cobblers … and I won’t have you say anything like that ever again”

[Eddie] “We’ll get through it, like we have before”

[Clarrie] “There’s a chance I won’t never get a job again, not at my age … I don’t deserve you Eddie, like I said, I’m rubbish."


Joe says his bit to Tony

Tony’s round at the Grundy’s, seeing if Clarrie is back, or if there’s anything else he can do.

[Tony] “We thought we’d have all the bad news … we felt sick”

[Joe] “You shouldn’t have sacked her, should you … that’s what set al the tongues wagging round here … she took it really hard you know, losing her job … you think on it …”

Tony explains that she did leave of her own accord – but Joe reckons it’s the same difference.

Tony tries to explain to Joe just how hard life has been at Bridge Farm.

[Tony] “When a farm is on the slide, it’s hard to stop the rot …”

[Joe] “You’re sitting there pretty, Tony Archers … I grew up in the 30s remember, that’s when times really where really hard, so don’t you sit there telling me what a struggle it all is …”
Joe reckons that Tony at least has the land, that he can sell at a profit, even though he has a mortgage on it.

Clarrie has nothing to fall back on.

And he has Tom and Helen – who are clever and hard working.

Clarrie has Will and Ed (hard working, but can be a tad unreliable depending on who Emma’s decided she’s with).

In Joe’s mind – all will be well at Bridge Farm. But he can’t say the same about his Clarrie.

And that really (really) annoys him.


That kid is out of hospital

But what about the adults that were ill?

Are they not worth a mention?


Clarrie comes home

As Joe spots Clarrie and Eddie arriving home:

[Joe] “You stay where you are, Tony Archer ...you go running off the moment she gets here, it’ll make her feel even worse”

Joe lays out a “nice bright tablecloth”.

[Joe] “Flowers Edward, please …Now then, let’s all be cheerful, shall we”

[Clarrie] “I must say this place is looking very spic and span”

[Joe] “Oh we missed you Clarrie, this place ain't the same without you”

Joe then offers to pop out for some pies, but Clarrie reckons she’ll open a tin of ham.

Is it just me, or is part of the problem that, without her job, Clarrie’s noticed what a humdrum life she has?

Tin of ham?

Clarrie deserves better. Much so.


Eddie on a PR spin mission

Eddie pops out to call Ruth (out of range of Clarrie’s ear). Ruth had been round earlier on, and knew that Clarrie had gone missing.

Eddie calls to play to down, and make like she’d just gone to Rosie’s for Rosie’s birthday.

Not more sinister than that.

[Eddie] “There’s probably all rumours flying round the village at the moment!”

Ruth at least says she understands. But I don’t think Eddie’s going to manage to convince anyone with that tall tale …


Eddie loves Clarrie

[Eddie] “I’m doing me best to understand what’s happened Clarrie, but it’s not easy …

…”but there’s one thing I want you to know, we’ll get through this together, like we always do …

“… you mean the whole world to me, Clarrie, you know that … no matter what happens, you’re the centre of my life and you’ll always will”

Bless him.

Maybe he should start by popping out to get more in for tea than a tin of ham …

No comments: