Tuesday 13 September 2011

The Archers Monday 12th September 2011: Tom behaves appallingly to Tony

  • Tom decides Tom Archer’s is the only way forward
  • Freddie to start hunting
  • Happier times for Pat and Tony
  • Did Shula really say she had a gloryhole?
  • Helen talks sense, Pat just shouts



Tom decides Tom Archer’s is the only way forward

Not that it should come as a surprise. Tom has always been on the wanker side of being a knob.

(do excuse my French, but that Tom Archer has always been a pet hatred of mine)

Tom has lost his best customer, who had been buying off of him for two years.

[Tom] “Now he ends it with an email. ‘Sorry but I can’t afford to be linked with an infected farm’, thanks a lot, Dave”

Tom does the only reasonable thing. He blames Pat and Tony who he reckons are working against him and Helen, than working with them.

[Tom] “They’re pathetic, like a pair of rabbits in headlights. If they can’t handle it, they need to just get out of the way”

Tom is still angry about Pat not agreeing to do the Borchester Life article. I think he was right that every wee bit counts – but it was only a wee thing that wouldn’t have solved all of their problems. Tom seems to see it as indicative of the way Pat and Tony have dealt with the E. coli outbreak.

[Tom] “Why I ever brought my business back here I’ll ever now. I’d have been better off With Brian … what he wouldn’t be doing is sitting in that kitchen crying about”

So off Tom marches to tell Pat and Tony what’s what.

His timing is off. Tony is knackered after being up late calving. The last thing he needs is a Tom tantrum. But unfortunately, that’s what he gets.

[Tom] “I’ve decided to redesign my packaging, I’m going to take the words Bridge Farm off my label, and I’m going to go back to the Tom Archers brand as soon as soon as I can

“ … I am not prepared to see my business go belly up because of the mess you’ve made of the dairy enterprise .. you should have got a proper grip”

[Tony] “Well, thanks Tom, nothing like having your own son walk out on you at the first sign of trouble … This is about you and your interests, the world loyalty doesn’t even enter your head …”

[Tom] “Not if it doesn’t show up on the bottom line, no”

(what a wee bastard!)

Tony is understandably upset. He tries to tell Tom that all he (Tony) has ever done if work so that Tom and Helen can have the farm.

[Tom] “This ships going down … so it’s got to make sense to save whatever we can”

Oh my!

This is Tom at his very worst.

Disown the little ungrateful sod. Make him try and find a job in Birmingham!

But still keep his pigs.

It’s not their fault.


Freddie to start hunting

Elizabeth asks Shula to take Freddie to the Autumn hunts.

Seems he does really enjoy it – like father like son.

Elizabeth admitted herself that she was being a bit strange – but she mentioned that she thought Freddie looked so like Nigel when he was dressed up in his riding gear.

It’s not been long enough for Elizabeth to have a perspective.

But poor Freddie.

He’s not the brightest spark round. He doesn’t also need to dad’s legacy to try and live up to.


Happier times for Pat and Tony

Tony is tending to his newly born calf, and its mum.

[Tony] “At least I’m good at something”

[Pat] “Do you remember that Christmas night we spent out here … Mabel with the one horn …”

[Tony] “Good days … what’s to all been for, pat? My son seems to see us as the enemy … as far as he’s concerned, we’re superfluous. He wants us out of his way … when I think what we’ve done for that lad, both of them …”

Pat reckons Tom is just lashing out – but Tony can’t believe the sheer ungratefulness of his son.

Despite Pat reminding Tony how the family spirit was alive and well when they all lifted carrots the other day (!), all Tony can think about is how he and Pat took on the mortgage – put their lives back on hold – for Helen and Tom. He and Pat could have been retired by now.

[Tony] “We’re kidding ourselves. It’s over, And if someone asked me what the last 30 years have been for, I’m not sure I’d have an answer”


Did Shula really say she had a gloryhole?

I think so.

Do we think she even has a clue what that is common parlance for these days?


Helen talks sense, Pat just shouts

Tom’s back outside still ranting about how everything is Pat and Tony’s fault.

Helen’s calm, and rather sane.

[Helen] “you can't just blame mum and dad, it all happened so quickly … I think you underestimate the shock of this .. .it’s worse for them, this is their life’s work Tom, you and I have got time to build up a new business, hopefully”

[Tom] “In that case they should have taken better care of it!”

After having tried to comfort Tony, Pat heads over. And she’s taking no prisoners.

[Pat to Tom] “I’d rather you’d not talk to your father like that /… I am not interested in your point, I have just left him, he’s in bits over this”

(Tom tries to interrupt Pat, but Helen tells him to shut up)

[Pat] “I’d just like to remind you that your father has spent his entire life building up this business, and all he ever wanted was to pass it onto you as a going concern … now thanks to you, he thinks he’s a failure … I think you owe him a little more respect … I’m not going to have you speaking like that to him again Pat!”

Aye, quite right Pat.

Tom needs to be spoken to like that on a more regular basis.

No comments: