Friday 2 December 2011

Ambridge Extra Thursday 1st December: Alan married an ice axe murderer

(slight poetic licence there – actually, Alan married a knife wielding GBH)

  • Erin excited by doing a Ewe caesarean
  • “not my Catherine!”
  • £75, standing too close and 6 lambs
  • The Clinical Club



Erin excited by doing a Ewe caesarean

Each to their own.

Though Erin may also be excited about seeing Alistair, she also seems to be rubbing along well with Daniel.

Alistair – to himself - great to see them joking together. All that worry over nothing

Erin scrubs up, and goes to take her top off.

Alistair – to himself – what!
[Erin, obviously seeing Alistair, and probably Daniel’s, discomfort] “It’s okay, I’ve got a t-shirt underneath”

Alistair – to himself - clam down Alistair

Enter the Ewe.

[Erin] “Hello Madam!”

And Daniel leaves them to it to do his homework.

Alistair – to himself – we’ll be fine

“not my Catherine!”

Alan’s driven up to see Mabel in Bradford.

(I do love a bit of Mabel)

Mabel first gives him a row about his motorbike. She doesn’t think it’s safe.

Then Alan asks her about Falconwood and Catherine letters to Mabel’s sister.

[Mabel] “I wouldn’t know about that”

Which isn’t true, as Alan had also found a Falconwood letter from Catherine to Mabel. And also the release paperwork for Catherine. It said:

[Alan, quoting from the release paperwork] “Catherine would be released because she now posed no threat to herself or to others”

[Mabel] “This is all in the past. Can’t you let sleeping dogs lie? … why do you want to go raking this up”

[Alan] “She was my wife … you’ve got to be honest with me.”

[Mabel] “She was 14. There was a girl in her class at school, Catherine attacked her … stabbed … it was bad. Very. They called it grievous bodily harm. She spent two years in that place”

[Alan] “What on earth happened?”

[Mabel, while starting to cry] “I don’t know., She wouldn’t say … it just wasn’t her,. She would never. Not my Catherine,. She was never violent … she never did anything like that before or since, And when she came out she never spoke about it,. We tried to put it behind it, but it broke my heart. My sweet little Catherine”

Later on:

[Alan] “I must admit I still don’t know how to react .. .why didn’t you tell me about this?”

[Mabel] “It wasn’t my story to tell … What? I could have told you a secret she took to the grave? And how would that have helped”

[Alan] “I’d have known the truth”

[Mabel] “What truth? This one thing she did before she met you, or all the years she loved and cared for you”

[Alan] “They’re both the truth”

[Mabel] “You want me to betray her memory and change the way you feel about her forever?”

[Alan] “I’d still have loved her”

Mabel thinks her sister, Annie, should have burned the letters.

[Alan] “I feel like I’ve been kept in the dark by the whole family … it’s like I couldn’t be trusted to cope with the secret”

[Mabel] “We were protecting Catherine”

[Alan] “Don’t you think I wanted to protect her too?”

[Mabel] “And this is how you’re doing it? By dragging up the past, dirtying her memory? … she put that dreadful time behind her, and you should too”

Mabel offers Alan to stay, but he wants to head off.

They leave each other on good times, with Mabel saying she’ll be praying for Alan and Usha.

Alan starts motorbiking back:

Alistair – to himself - what a mess. How on earth could she? It’s inconceivable. My Catherine. To take a knife and harm another human being. I just can’t … I could have helped her. You can’t lock that sort of thing away and not affect you. The cancer … was is stress living with that dreadful memory. Catherine, why didn’t you trust me? Did you think I didn’t love you enough. That I couldn’t have coped with it. Amy, how will she feel. She idolises her mother. What would this to do her. Oh lord, what should I do?

I’d reckon that he shouldn’t tell Amy, for a start.

I quite agree with Mabel that there’s nothing to be gained from dragging this all back up – even though it’s different for a husband than for a daughter. And anyway – it’s academic in Alan’s case. He’d already seen the letters.


£75, standing too close and 6 lambs

Erin was asking Alistair how much he’ll charge the farmer for doing the caesarean on the Ewe.

Seems it’s £75, including drugs.

Erin reckons that isn’t much, but as Alistair explains:

[Alistair] “the farmer has to account for the age of the ewe and how much make on lambs”

So there’s always haggling with farmers. Though I reckon it is cheap for 7+ years of studying and professional expertise.

As Erin helps Alistair with the operation, seems she’s standing very close to him:

Alistair – to himself - god that’s close … is she? … not, she’s just interested in the op. Concentrate

Alistair does manage to pull himself together to deliver 6 (yes, a whopping 6!) lambs. All of who came out alive.


The Clinical Club

Which isn’t like the Clap Clinic as I first thought.

It’s a Club where vets meet up to talk shop. Have supper. Hear from a speaker, or talk about interesting cases.

Alistair mentioned that he’d bring up his 6 lamb caesarean, and Erin sound very interested in the club.

So Alistair invites her along.

What is that man thinking?

If he does truly suspect that Erin is trying to come onto him, why encourage her?

If he thinks it’s all in his head, why encourage himself?

Then again, maybe Alistair is enjoying the flirt. Without admitting it to himself.

Either which way - dangerous stuff indeed.

1 comment:

caroline_venezia said...

"The Clinical Club

Which isn’t like the Clap Clinic as I first thought"

LOL !