Wednesday 14 December 2011

Joe has an “extraordinary” gift: The Archers Friday 9th December 2011

  • Another mention of Peggy
  • Jill’s in the Christmas mood
  • Freddie gets Casper, Lily gets Paris
  • Kenton has a good plan AND gets credit
  • Nic is ever so diplomatic
  • Shula can talk AND towel
  • Tony finds out he was a granddad 13 years ago



Another mention of Peggy

It’s Jill this time. She’s saying Peggy is housebound and that her ankle is still very swollen.

I really don’t like this.

Peggy may have Elona, Lilian, Jill and co looking out for her – but I’d feel better if we could hear from Peggy herself.


Jill’s in the Christmas mood

After Lighting Up on The Green, and Deck the Halls is next.


Freddie gets Casper, Lily gets Paris

I’m not sure who the winner!

Seems Casper and Freddie took well to each other (Casper is a horse, in case you missed it a few eavesdropping ago). And Lily is very excited about going to Paris (the city, not that rather base American woman).

[Shula] “Well it would be nice if someone in the family was a linguist”

Eh?

Why so, Shula?


Kenton has a good plan AND gets credit

I never thought I’d see the like.

Jill and Shula were worrying over Elizabeth spending Christmas day alone with just the twins (Lewis at one of his daughters’). Elizabeth doesn’t seem likely to take up Shula’s offer of spending it at hers.

 [Shula]”She’s worried about David coming over for tea afterwards”

[Jill] “That is awful. This stupid rift could ruin Christmas for everyone”

But Jill later calls Shula, to say that Kenton has the solution.

He’s going to invite the whole family to The Bull on Christmas evening, so that everyone can see each other – or, not see each other (as there’s enough space).

[Shula] “Good old Kenton”

[Jill] “He is good at this sort of thing”

Blimey!

High praise indeed for the man that constantly gets berated and shouted at. Especially by his own family.


Nic is ever so diplomatic

Joe turns up at Nic and Will’s with a surprise. It involves Nic having to get her coat on, turn off the iron and go outside.

Must be serious.

On first sight of Joe’s surprise:

[Nic] “It’s um … absolutely extraordinary, Joe”

[Joe] “This is a genuine one off unique piece of craftsmanship … So you can ride in style in all your finery … come to me out of the blue one evening, Eddie was going to cut the cloth up as hammocks for the ferrets”

As far as I can gather, Joe and Eddie have fashioned some sort of princess style carriage for Bartleby to pull Nic to the wedding in.

From Nic’s reaction, it doesn’t sound too royal …

… and as Nic explains, she’s getting changed at Grey Gables, so won’t have the need to be driven down to it.

But, seeing Joe’s disappointment:

[Nic] “This lovely trap is going to be absolutely perfect. For something”

And knowing Nic, that something will more than make it up to Joe.


Shula can talk AND towel

On yersel, doll.


Tony finds out he was a granddad 13 years ago

[Pat] “Rich is John’s son”

[Tony] “Definitely?”

[Pat] “Yes, definitely … I tried not to Tony …”

[Tony] “You rang Sharon? Oh Pat …”

[Pat] “I felt terrible about Helen and Tom, but I couldn’t stop myself, it was terrifying … Sharon was very blunt … She doesn’t want us to make any contact with him … never”

[Tony] “Why didn’t she tell us?”

[Pat] “That’s what I can’t get out of my head. That’s what’s going to drive me mad. She did try to tell us … she wanted to decide whether we deserved to know … we told her to go away ... it was my fault … I asked why she’d come, but I didn’t let her answer”

[Tony] “She took advantage of John when he was too young … she completely dominated him, Pat”

[Pat] “If only I’d kept my mouth shut. If I’d shown that girl any sort of compassion … she would have told us, we would have known. John’s son would have been part of our lives for the past 13 years, we could have loved him, told him all about John. And I threw that all away. How can I ever forgive myself”

[Tony] “No … it’s not you, it’s us … but how the hell were we to know what we were doing?”

Tricky.

Pat and Tony were distraught at the time. And their argument with Sharon was entirely separate from John dying. So, on the one hand, I can see why they turned Sharon away.

But, they knew John loved Sharon. So they could have at least shown some kindness. She was also grieving.

And, that they say they would have treated her differently if they’d known that she was pregnant by John is a tad callous. Sharon was not just a vessel for John’s seed …

But I suppose it doesn’t matter now. What does is that Pat and Tony have to live with the knowledge that they turned away their (unborn) grandchild. That they’ve missed all these years. And that they have next to no chance of seeing him (at least until he decides to find out more about his biological father. If ever).

No comments: