Saturday 31 December 2011

It’s New Year (!) 29/12/11

Ambridge Extra 29th December 2011

  • Shula makes Daniel see sense
  • Clive’s in hospital
  • Amy genetically wired to stab someone?
  • Daniel ruins Erin’s New Year



Shula makes Daniel see sense

Daniel came in at 3am last night, and doesn’t want anything to do with Alistair. He won’t even sit down at the kitchen table to talk.

[Daniel] “No. Not while he’s here … didn’t you hear me, you shouldn’t even still be here”

He tries to go out riding, but Shula catches up with him before he can leave:

[Shula] “This isn’t going to get any better if we don’t talk about it … darling, I need you to see something. Last night dad showed me the texts Erin sent him”

[Daniel] “Don’t you get it, I’m not interested, he’s full of bull”

[Shula] “I didn’t want to look either but I had to. You're just going to have to be grown up about this. Here. It’s both side of the conversation. You can see the dates”

Daniel reading Erin’s texts to himself:
(from Erin) ‘When are you visiting next, I could do with some more of that smile’
(from Erin) ‘Hey Al, don’t worry about Mr Purvis, I’ll just flutter my eyelashes at him’
(November 21st from Alistair)’ tomorrow fine Erin, but I can only spend half an hour’
(November 22nd from Erin) – had a fab time with you today, can’t stop thinking about when I can come over again’
(from Erin) ‘My evenings are you boring when I’m not with you x x’

[Shula] “She was the one coming onto him, He really didn’t do anything”

[Daniel, the truth starting to dawn] “He still could have stopped her”

[Shula] “Your dad just didn’t want to see you get hurt, that’s all. Oh come on love, he knows he made a mistake. Your dad would never do what she’s accusing him of. I know that, and believe me I was furious when he first told me, and you know it too don’t you … look, I’m sorry, I wish I didn’t have to show you those, but you were so convinced”

[Daniel, upset] “I thought she really like me mum, and all the time … not as much as dad though”

[Shula] “Oh come here, this is my fault as well, I should have told you sooner, I only didn’t because I love you and your dad loves you as well”

Daniel goes back in to say sorry to Alistair for everything that he’d said. Alistair apologies to him as well.

[Alistair] “If I could go back and do things differently. I just hoped I could let Erin down gently without destroying your relationship”

[Daniel] “I should have known she’d never have been interested in me anyway”

Daniel now doesn’t want to go the ball as he thinks everyone will be laughing at him. And Erin will be there

[Alistair] “This isn’t about you. Honestly, the way Erin’s treated you, she doesn’t deserve you. She’s not worth it Daniel … she just uses men for attention, none of this reflects on you” … In fact, it would be good if she sees you there. Show her you’re above her silly games”

I still think Alistair did encourage Erin to an extent (and it was all middle-aged ego), but he did stop it before it went too far. Again – don’t play games with kids!


Clive’s in hospital

Earlier on, we hears Usha talking to Amy about meeting up to do the sales. It was obvious Amy hadn’t told Usha about the Clive and her car incident.

Amy is now visiting Clive:

[Clive] “Come to gloat?”

[Amy] “I just wanted to check how you are. You’re looking better than I expected”

Clive is alive, but with two broken ribs, a “battered” pelvis and a hairline fracture on his neck.

[Clive] “I suppose I really ought to thank you, it’s what these doctors keep telling me anyhow, you know, cause of me spine”

(goodness me – Clive sounds rather sheepish)

[Amy] “I could hardly leave you there could I?”

[Clive] “Well I would have done … well anyway, ta”

[Amy] “That’s alright”

Clive tells her than his “rambling” after she had knocked him over was “rubbish”

[Clive] “You’re not to pay any heed to it”

So – he doesn’t want her to think of what he was saying about his childhood. He also starts blustering that hospital is great – free meals and pretty nurses.

As Amy is leaving:

[Clive] “Oh and eh Amy, maybe I’ll see you in Ambridge sometime”

[Amy] “You’re not coming back, are you?”

[Clive] “Who knows? Never say never, eh?”

Hmmm.

Has Amy literally knocked some sense into Clive – meaning his return will be of a prodigal come good – or will he be back to his usual Horrible Horrobin self?

Does he think that he now has a friend in Amy?


Amy genetically wired to stab someone?

Amy meets up with Usha, and tells her everything about Clive.

Usha is upset that Amy didn’t tell her and Alan about Clive stalking her. Usha thinks he should have been reported first time round.

But Amy’s worries go beyond Clive.

[Amy] “I’m not even sure I didn’t mean to hit him Usha. Yes, he was drunk, and he stumbled out in front of the car, but I don’t know maybe, subconsciously …”

[Usha] “Oh come on, you know that’s nonsense”

[Amy] “I’m not sure anymore, the way that I felt when I saw him last week, it was like, just this anger, I couldn’t control it. What if it’s the same thing that made my mum stab that girl? … I’ve always had a temper and dad, he says how much I remind him of her. It used to make me feel connected to her, but know?”

[Usha] “Your mum made a mistake, you don’t believe it made a bad person do you, so you’re not a bad person either … we all have parts of us we’re ashamed of, thoughts that we wouldn’t want anyone else to hear, it’s how we act on them that’s important, and you helped Clive”

[Amy] “That was just my training kicking in”

[Usha] “Exactly, your instincts as a carer.”

[Amy] “If things had been different for me, if I’d have had his upbringing …”

[Usha, first saying lots of ‘no, no, no’] “Clive had his choices … you’re kind and compassionate and warm hearted, your mum would be very proud, and so am I. For what it’s worth”

Amy reckons Usha’s pride in her is worth a lot. Especially as she doesn’t feel she could talk to her dad or Mabel like this.

[Amy] “I’m so glad that you’re part of your family, And you’re right. It’s not about the past”

[Usha] “You’re a very special girl Amy. Makes me wish I’d known your mum. She must have been very special too”

That’s better.

It had been recently sounding like Usha was jealous of (the dearly departed) Catherine, and that Amy didn’t really accept Usha in their family. But, now sounds like that’s all sorted.

Just took a drunk Clive and assault with a car.


Daniel ruins Erin’s New Year

Daniel has gone to the ball. After making sure he’s out his cloakroom ticket somewhere safe (bless him and his pedantic ways), he spots Erin. And goes over to her.

Daniel – to himself - God she looks amazing

[Erin, surprised] “Dan, you came!”

Daniel – to himself - Who’s that she’s with?

Seems Erin is at the ball with some chap called Miles, who Daniel reckons to himself is at least twice her age.

But Amy saves him (that’s 2 blokes in as many days!). She’s at the ball, and when he tells her that he’s split up with is girlfriend, she drags him off to spend New Year with her and her mates.

Later on, as Daniel is getting a drink, he bumps into that Miles chap again.

And what’s this …. When Daniel mentions that he knows Erin as they goes to school together, Miles seems confused.

[miles] “But Erin’s a vet. She’s just graduated”

[Daniel, laughing] “Is that what she’s told you?!?”

Erin comes over:

[Miles] “Erin what’s all this about you two going to school together? How old are you?”

[Erin, laughing nervously] “Dan, what have you been telling him?”

[Miles, now angry] “How old?”

[Dan, loving the scene] “Well, go on”

There’s silence from Erin.

[Daniel] “She’s seventeen!”

[Mile, horrified] “Seventeen! Seriously?”

[Erin] “Does it matter?”

[Miles] Just a bit. I’m not a cradle snatcher. Keep your drink. Go find someone your own age!”

[a rather triumphant Daniel] “You lied to him. Seems like you’ve been doing that a lot … give it up. I’m not falling for it, alright,. Tell your story to somebody else. I’ve got a life to get on with!”

It’s just before the bells, so Amy returns to Daniel. Seems she had introduced him to a girl he’s been getting on with, but as the countdown has started, they seal their New year with a friendly peck.

Daniel – to himself, texting - Hey, thanks for always being there dad. Happy New Year

Indeed.

Corny and obvious?

Possibly – but I enjoyed that moment. Good for Daniel to see that Erin was just a little witch (or replace that ‘w; with a ‘b’) and good for Daniel to see in the New Year with mates, and a good feeling about Alistair.

My only slight confusion is that we eavesdropped into this on the 29th (though I am writing this up on the 31st). Was this a mock New Year ball?

(I know – Ambridge Extra time is a law unto itself)

2 comments:

caroline_venezia said...

Happy New Year ! Goodness, you have been busy - great stuff as we missed a week. All the best to you and all fellow ponderers for 2012 !

Inga McVicar said...

Cheers Caroline! Bang up to date now (phew!). And it's 2 years to the date that I did my first blog post. Such devotion ;) Happy New YEar to you and yours as well.