Monday 5 December 2011

The Archers Friday 2nd December 2011: Helen’s ever decreasing circles …

  • Mike’s in trouble with the wife
  • Why would anyone buy Joe’s holly?
  • Don’t use the ornamental bird bath as an astray!
  • Les Tres desert Noelle
  • Col-von-ellie?
  • Ah, it was Mike’s birthday
  • Abby had two!
  • Helen offloads to Ian
  • Bitten tails and piglets
  • Brenda, the serving wench
  • Tom’s still thinking of others



Mike’s in trouble with the wife

Remembering Mike’s wife is Vicky, that’s not a good situation to be in.

Vicky’s doing the dishes, Mike comes in, she smashes them down.

[Mike] “Ow! Me head ,,, It’s still a bit delicate from last night”

[Vicky] “One drink, you said. I was expecting you at 9”

[Mike] “You should have phoned”

[Vicky] “I wasn’t going to beg!”

[Mike] “Look, I said I’m sorry … oh, there’s no talking you”

And he storms off to the green burial site, while Vicky starts baking.


Why would anyone buy Joe’s holly?

After his pee-taking last year.

Vicky did, which Mike is aghast by. She could have got it free from Brian.

But, seems Vicky felt sorry for Joe.

He’s a crafty one, that Grundy senior.


Don’t use the ornamental bird bath as an astray!

Lynda has noticed, and is not amused.

In fact, she’s scrubbing it down as it has been rather neglected of late.

[Lynda] “a clean bird bath can be a vital source of drinking water for birds during winter”

She’s saying all of this to Ian, who sounded a bit guilty when she mentioned the astray usage. He doesn’t admit his guilt (surely other folks at Grey Gables smoke), but says he’ll smoke responsibly in the future.

Honestly, smoker with bad manners really irritate me.

As a smoker, it’s bad enough I get harassed for what I know is a disgusting habit, but one (as an adult) I choose to do. It just gets worse when someone else takes the Michael and gives us all a bad reputation.


Les Tres desert Noelle

Ian redeems himself from the association to smoking by telling Lynda and a desert he could do for Christmas around the World.

Les Tres desert Noelle

(or should that be Les Treize Desserts de Noël?)

It’s about the 13 deserts, representing the 13 disciples. That includes two types of nougat representing good and evil. And 4 beggars, which is hazelnuts, almonds raisons and dried figs, representing the different religious orders (the poorer ones).

Lynda is delighted.

Col-von-ellie?


Vicky brings a peace offering to Mike at the green burial site.

[Vicky] “My col-von-ellie … folded pizza”

Sorry?

Did Vicky mean Calzone?

Either way, Mike already had eaten. A pie from the shop (normally is a pastie).


Ah, it was Mike’s birthday

Which is why he was out late.

Vicky tells him that she upset at him returning after his curfew (!) as she wanted an early night … but she offers him the same sort of present tonight.

Daft Mike doesn’t know when he’s winning.

[Mike] “I did try and tear myself away from the bull”

[Vicky, getting annoyed again] “Not hard enough”

He then starts telling her his reasoning for staying.

David was there, and seemed depressed. Neil was also in, trying to avoid Tracey’s kids. And Bert also come in/ He was also depressed as he’d only placed 3rd in his most recent ploughing competition.

[Mike] “Still, things picked up with Eddie and Clarrie came in!”

Seems it was then drinks all round – and Roy then also appeared.

[Mike] “We all really let our hair down then!”

[Vicky] “And to think I was sat at home all alone …”

Lynda gave her food (whatever it should be called) to Lynda, who’d popped by to see Mike’s progress on the green burial site.

As I said. Daft Mike.

If he’d only stopped at “sorry”.


Abby had two!

Which Lynda sniffed about.

Seems Oscar opened his first advent calendar window today.

But Vicky told her that Abby had two advent calendars – one at home, and one at Vicky and Mike’s.


Helen offloads to Ian

[Helen] “I can cope with my brother being dead, what I can’t cope with is him coming back to life. There’s no way I’m ready to meet the 13 year old John again. But then again, when is John’s son not John’s son, when he’s a total stranger … I’m not making much sense …”

[Ian] “Well, it’s not a sensible situation”

[Helen] “You know when you put your debut card in the cash machine and it rejects it … that’s what my mind keeps doing with that photograph, It just keeps pushing it away,. Oh Ian, don’t tell anyone about this. Not even Adam …

“ I’ve spent so much energy in my life fighting the reminders … after his accident … at first, I was a tower of strength. l Everyone told me how marvellous I was being, how string for mum and dad and Tom. But over that summer, I just couldn’t face coming back, so I went to Ireland for a job, but really I ran away. I was trying to explore how I was feeling. It was such a dark time. I was so lonely. I missed my big brother so much …

“ I just wanted to prove to myself I could cope alone I suppose, that I was in control, I can see now I wasn’t. It’s so complicated Ian. John’s was big shoes to fill, he was so popular and easy going.”

[Ian] “You didn’t have to compete”

[Helen] “But I was the eldest now .. Responsible for everything. Plus I didn’t want to drown in all the messy grief at home … and then shortly after I came back, mum got depression and I have to be strong again and run the dairy and pretty soon I found out I preferred being strong and busy to staring into the abyss. So I kept being busy. Then Greg died. And I found out you could manage everything, expect grief”

Seems Helen learned a lot of what she was saying (sorry … feeling) from when she was in counselling. Now she’s angry at herself for “falling to pieces over” over the photo of John next to Rich.

[Ian] “Your parents dropped this on you from a dirty great height… and you just freaked out a bit. … you’re stronger than you realise … look how far you’ve come, you’ve given the family this wee man … so you should focus him and your life now. The past can’t threaten that”

[Helen] “I wish I had your faith in me, Ian”


Bitten tails and piglets

Tom thought his pig had a bitten tail.

But it didn’t.

And Lynda usefully told Tom:

[Lynda] “Did you know baby hedgehogs are called piglets?”

She and Robert are making a hedgehog hibernation box.


Brenda, the serving wench

Dropping the idea of Tom making a Norwegian sausage dish for Christmas around the World, Lynda now wants Tom to provide chipolatas for sauerkraut and sausage snacks.

Which he agrees to.

Lynda then pushes her luck – she asks Tom if Brenda would help serve at the do. Seems Fallon has agreed to.

[Tom] “Don’t hold your breath!”

Busty Brenda the serving wench.

That’s would surely be a major selling point.

And would give Lilian a grand old laugh.


Tom’s still thinking of others

Which is an amazing transformation.

Technically – he’s not thinking of others. Just Helen.

[Tom] “I’ve come to my own conclusion about it … ditch it mum, this whole idea of ringing Sharon isn’t on, not now, not ever. I understand it means closing off a very big door for you, but it’s too high a price to pay”

[Pat] “Henry may never l know the identity of his father, do you really want the same for Rich?”

[Tom] “I don’t care about Rich! … I care about Helen. And you can’t push her like this, it’s not fair, it’s not right… you need to draw a line under this fantasy. And move on!”

What a caring brother.

If, we believe that Tom really is just thinking of Helen. And not just his inheritance …

No comments: