Tuesday 8 November 2011

The Archers Friday 4th November 2011: Plans for Ivy’s funeral

  • Jennifer was right to be nervous
  • Neil reckons Tom is a damn good pig man
  • Phew! Here comes Alan
  • Susan defends Clive



Jennifer was right to be nervous

About talking to Tony.

Brian had poo-pooed her earlier on for being a bit worried:

[Brian] “It’s Tony. It’s hardly worth getting worked up about”

[Jennifer] “Well you don’t know him like I do … I can assure hell be going out of his way to be awkward”

[Brian] “Well in that case he’s pathetic. And frankly darling, I’ve got better things to be worried about”

Oo-er Brian! That was rather catty.

An awkward Tony or electrical problems at the Mart – what’s more important?!?

Anyhoo – when Jennifer gets to Bridge Farm, Tony doesn’t welcome her with open arms. He keeps her waiting, then doesn’t offer her a coffee and tries to rush her as he has to go and to cut cabbages.

When Jennifer tells him about the lunch for Peggy’s birthday, Tony is immediately irritated that she’s asked everyone else first.

[Tony] “Now you’re getting round to me and Pat. The bottom of the list”

[Jennifer] “I know you’d want to be there. It’s just a formality really”

[Tony] “Oh I see. We’re a formality”

[Jennifer] “Tony, it’s a family do!”

[Tony]”You expect us to be good dutiful members of the family …”

[Jennifer] “It’s your mum!”

[Tony] “It’s a shame you didn’t feel so family minded when Pat and I needed your support!”

And he storms off.

See, Brian. Jennifer was quite right to be a bit nervy about seeing Tony. He’s not a man to forget and forgive in a hurry.


Neil reckons Tom is a damn good pig man

[Tony] “But this obsession with the internet, all this piggy football rubbish!”

Tony is still on (and on) about Tom being wrong that his piggy footy will make a difference to sales.

[Tony]”I wouldn’t mind so much if he wasn’t in such a hurry to undo everything that Pat and I have tried to build up … he seems to be determined to obliterate all traces of it”

Tony doesn’t believe that the Bridge Farm brand is irreversibly tainted. But, as Neil points out, Tom’s sales are picking up. Is it the piggy footy, or being separate from Bridge Farm?

And Neil does have a vested interested. Seems Bridge Farm is his best customer.


Phew! Here comes Alan

Susan is talking to Alan about Ivy’s funeral.

I do feel happier when Alan reappears in the midst of a crisis. He’s such a clam chap, who always has the right words to say.

Susan’s worried about the family. Bert is still in shock, and she’s worried about what’ll happen next to the Horrobin clan.

[Susan] “She’d want me to keep things together, the family and that. It was usually me she turned to”

Susan wants joyful hymns for the funeral. She asks for Dear Lord and Father of Mankind, Amazing Grace, Praise My Soul the King of Heaven and Abide with Me (for her dad).

[Susan] “I ought to mention my brother Clive will be there too”

[Alan] “And he’ll be very welcome”

Hmmm. Looks like Alan will be the only one welcoming Clive anywhere.


Susan defends Clive

It really didn’t take Susan much time to only see the better side of Clive.

She reckons he’s being quite helpful. He took his dad to the pub,. And is off today with Gary to buy new shirts for the funeral.

[Neil] “I wonder how much he’s making on the deal …”

[Susan] “I know he’s done some terrible things but I really think he’s trying to stay out of trouble”

[Neil] “I doubt that”

[Susan] “At least he was out of prison for mum's last few weeks and he’s looking for work … at least she was happy about that … I’ll always feel grateful to him for that, cheering up her last few weeks”

[Neil] “So long as you don’t get taken in by it. He’s never going to change”

[Susan] “Well he won’t as long as people keep putting him down all the time”

[Neil] “I just don’t want you to be let down again, that’s all”

[Susan] “I’m quite capable of making my own mind up than you Neil … at least he’s given me some help and support, which is more than I can say for the rest of them”

Oh deary me.

Susan’s going to have to learn the hard way. Again.

No comments: