Saturday 21 July 2012

Stuck in a ditch: Mon 16.07.12

The Archers Monday 16th July 2012
  • David’s bad day turns good
  • The price of milk
  • I thought Vicky was pregnant
  • Typical Horrobins
  • Communicating with water
  • Good god! Lynda and Robert have a sex life!

David’s bad day turns good


David drive his Landrover into a ditch, which the Landrover was hitched to a trailer of lambs.

David is beyond annoyed with himself.

But thankfully, the lambs are okay.

[David] “They’re fine. They’re just a  bit confused.”

Adam started helping David to get the lambs out, then Mike also joined in. David feeling increasing … ahem … sheepish that he got himself in this spot.

[David] “It’s just me driving with my mind out of gear.”

Once they’ve got David organised again, he’s about to head home rather than the market. He thinks he won’t get there in time to sell his lambs. And he was right – he got there five minutes to late. But:

[David] “Just as I was beating my head on the concentrate in frustration …”

A butcher came along, and bought all of David’s lambs. The butcher had also missed the sale, knew David’s lambs because of Penny Hassett. He gave David a very good price, paid in cash and David didn’t have to pay any commission.

[Adam] “Great, well I do like a happy ending.”

[David] “When I was driving home, my pocket stuffed with cash, I remember dad saying to me once, when I was about Pip’s age, it’s family farms that make a nation string … I know what he meant though, worth fighting for, isn’t it!”

How lovely to hear David being positive. It’s a very rare occurrence.


The price of milk


Mike’s reading his dairy trade newspaper. It doesn’t make for pleasant reading at all.

[Mike] “More letters from people saying they’ll have to sell up with the price cuts.”

He’s also losing customers from the milk round. Mike reckons the publicity about the cost of milk has reminded folks they can get their milk cheaper from the supermarkets,

[Mike] “Going on about it being a luxury item.”

[Vicky] “We’ll survive.”

Oh dear.

Wonder if Mike will be at front of the protests.


I thought Vicky was pregnant

Mike was bemoaning that they’d had to leave a restaurant after they’d only just had their starters. Seems Vicky wasn’t feeling well.

[Vicky] “I don’t know what’s the matter with me lately.”

So Vicky’s feeling sick. And hasn’t been sleeping.

Knowing how amorous those two are, my first though was that there was going to be another Tucker about to enter the world. Brenda’s face would have been a picture!


Typical Horrobins


[Adam] “So, Keith Horrobin eh … that doesn’t mean he’s innocent. The Horrobins don’t have a good track record, do they.”

[Mike] “What a family, eh … he’s in the frame, obviously … that’s always the hardest. Not knowing.”

All smells like a bit of a red herring …


Communicating with water


Vicky comes across Lynda doing something odd on the bridge. Not sure why anyone is ever surprised to find Lynda doing something odd. It is a fairly common occurrence.

[Vicky] “I thought you might be unwell, hanging onto the parapet like that.”

[Lynda] “No, I’m communing with the bridge.”

[Vicky] “I beg your pardon?”

[Lynda] “I’m trying to communicate with the energy of the place. It’s important to actually touch the stones.”

It’s all something to do with the performance art Lynda is organising. The Director seemingly thinks the bridge is a “key performance point”.

[Lynda] “It’s all to do with the crossover of two energy flows. Human energy, above the bridge, and the eternal fluid below, our communication with the natural world … it’s fascinating.”

[Vicky] “Well, I’ll leave you to it then.”

[Lynda] “Yes, I’ll persevere.”

But, when Vicky mentions Danish at Grey Gables, Lynda is easily coxed away …


Good god! Lynda and Robert have a sex life!


Terrifying to think it, horribly disturbing to hear it!

Over their Danish, Lynda asks Vicky why she’s trying to cheer herself up. Vicky tells her it’s because she’s been feeling a bit down recently.

[Vicky] “Just, age I’m afraid .. I’ve been feeling it though. The usual aches and pains … it’s more mood swings if I’m honest. Hot flushes, that sort of thing. Still, I mustn’t go on. Comes to us all doesn’t it.”

[Lynda] “Well, I remember when I went through all that, but do you know that I can honestly say I’ve had some of my most productive moments since, all that … the creative energy I’ve had for my projects, my shows particularly …I wouldn’t have felt that 20 years ago, I wouldn’t have had the perception.”

Lynda’s already squirming about talking about “all that”, when Vicky mentions that it’s not just the hot flushes that’s worrying her. It’s more intimate issues …

[Lynda] “Ah,. You’re thinking about relations … I really think we’re close now than we’ve ever been … maybe there isn’t quite the fiery passion there used to be. Don’t get me wrong we still have our moments, Robert and I.”

[Vicky] “Really!”

[Lynda] “Quite magical, at times.”

[Vicky] “Only sometimes I catch Mike looking at me like he’s a little boy in a sweet shop, I don’t think I could bear it if all that stopped.”

[Lynda] “I suspect he’ll be coming to the counter for some time yet.”

How. Very. Disturbing.

2 comments:

caroline_venezia said...

Clever you, guessing what's really up with Vicky! I thought it might be something more serious. So, I think I heard she's 46?

Inga McVicar said...

I did get sucked into the red herring of the menopause for a bit there though. Vicky is in her 40s, but at what end, I'm none too sure.