Wednesday 5 January 2011

The Archers Wed 5th Jan 2011: Helen's Happy!

  • Alan Franks is a wonderful man
  • Happy Nigel memories
  • Is that Helen?
  • The funeral’s Thursday week
  • “I like being alive. It suits me”
  • Is does sound like Helen …



Alan Franks is a wonderful man

I always forget just how caring, understanding and humble Alan always is.

Talking to Jill about her concerns over Liz’s reaction (or seeming lack of) to Nigel’s death

[Jill] “I don’t understand it. When Phil died, I was focused on the funeral … it seemed so important to give him a good send off. To celebrate his life”

[Alan] “But these are very different circumstances, Jill”

[Jill] “She’s frozen. She hasn’t even cried yet”

[Alan] “Some people don’t. That comes later. Sounds like she’s still in shock”

[Jill] “Yes … she just stares into space a lot of the time”

[Alan] “What do you think she sees?”

[Jill] “Well I’m afraid … I think it might be Nigel …when she rushed out after he fell …”

So while Elizabeth is stuck in a horrific loop of seeing Nigel after he fell, she can’t really react to anything else. Although she wants the children close by, she’s confusing them with also not being able to respond in the way they’d expect.

But, the kids do have Jill, and the rest of the Archer clan to look out for them.

Shula went round and told everyone that Nigel had died – despite her once having been his girlfriend

Kenton’s being great with the kids, making them laugh – despite Nigel being his best friend.

They all seem to be working through their grief by taking responsibilities that Elizabeth just isn’t up to.

[Jill] “And David. He’s just quietly doing all the things that need doing that people haven’t thought about. Or don’t want to think about … arranged for the area where Nigel fell to be … cleaned”

The guilt and grief David must be feeling must be horrendous.


Happy Nigel memories

[Jill] “ …Shula brought him home and he was wearing his gorilla suit …he used to tease me that I said to him, ‘Nigel, wouldn’t you be more comfortable if you took you head off’?”

[Alan] “He was a funny guy”

[Jill] “But always kind, thoughtful, full of life. Always looking forward to the next good thing”

And that’s why we’ll miss him, ever so,



Is that Helen?

Cripes – is this the dawning of the age of the Happy Helen?!?

Hurrah! It only took 30 odd years …

I was a bit suspect that Helen offered for Ian to hold Henry, and then didn’t seemed over anxious about he wouldn’t be careful.

Despite that being a given, Helen would have normally given him a 10 part lesson on how to hold a baby, before he even managed to get anywhere near Henry.

And what’s this? Helen apologising without being prompted?

[Helen] “You’ve been so thoughtful … kind and patient. It can’t have been easy. After all I put everyone through …”

[Ian] “It was a tough time for you”

[Helen] “And I made it tougher. Some on Ian admit it. I was a madwoman”

[Ian] “Well, perhaps a bit .. challenging”

[Helen] “I don’t know how you all out up with me … such a control freak!”

[Ian] “Ah, look there’s nothing wrong with knowing what you want”

[Helen] “Perhaps not, but when you start telling other people what they want to … I was such a know-it all”

That’s utterly amazing.

Helen has finally realised that there are more important things to life than being in control.

I think it’s a bit extreme having to have a baby to learn that, but different strokes, an’ all that.



The funeral’s Thursday week

at Loxley Barrett.

(although it doesn’t sound like Elizabeth was really aware of what she was agreeing to).

I am a bit surprised to hear that Elizabeth and Nigel didn’t ever discuss what they wanted for their funerals (I thought all couples did that?!?). All Elizabeth knows is that he’d want to be buried with his ancestors.

Well, at least she does have Alan doing the service.



“I like being alive. It suits me”

Just when I thought I might get through this episode without even the slightest of tears …

[Elizabeth]

“It’s just … Nigel was so full of life.

“This Autumn, we took the children up to the tree top walk … it was a beautiful sunny day. The colours were lovely.

“Nigel took this great breath of fresh air, and said: ‘you know Lizzie, I like being alive. It suits me …’

“I don’t understand he’s dead … I know he is … I saw him … I saw his body … but that’s all it was. He wasn’t there anymore.

“But I feel him. I feel his presence so strongly like he’s just left the room, and if I could get there quickly enough …”

[Alan] “You could just catch up with him. Yes, I remember”

Alan lost his wife to cancer, when Amy was only 6. Elizabeth starts to apologise for bringing back all those memories for him:

[Alan] “It’s alright. It’s okay for me. Now. I can’t say that that happened very fast…”

On Elizabeth asking Alan what he said to Amy:

[Alan] “I told her, her mummy had gone. She wasn’t in this world with us any longer. And she never would be again … but that didn’t mean she’d stop loving Amy, and it never would, and it doesn’t … love doesn’t die”

Truly a wonderful man, is that Alan.


Is does sound like Helen …

And just to prove that Helen’s change of attitude wasn’t just a one off – she’s now absolutely fine about having to go home, leaving Henry still in hospital.

Don’t read that as Helen not caring – she does, ever so – and will be sad to be going home alone for a bit – but she knows he’s in the best place for him. He still has to catch-up, after being born early.

Brenda and Ian are stunned!

[Brenda] “I can’t believe how calm she was. It’s such a big thing having to leave Henry behind”

[Ian] “Oh, it’d break my heart”

[Brenda] “She seems to be taking it in her stride”

It is hard to believe, but Helen accepts that the doctors and nurses know what they’re doing. And that she doesn’t need to watch their every move. Or tell them what to do. Or look up what they could be doing better on the internet … “she just trusts them to get on with it”

[Brenda] “Helen doesn’t usually trust anyone

[Ian] “It seems that as long as she can be with him, that’s all that matters”

“And this calm serene woman masquerading as Helen Archer … I know what it is .. she’s happy!”

My. Giddy. Aunt.

Who’d ever have thought it could happen.

I am absolutely overjoyed. After having to defend Helen for such a long time (without really being able to explain why), she comes good.

Of course, I am assuming this will last …

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Yay! The return of the lovely vicar (on a side note, on the Today programme yesterday morning, there was a vicar on called the Reverend Shula. I held my breath. But thankfully he was a wheezy old man from Lancashire talking about badgers digging up his graveyard). Alan is super at his job.

I confess I found the episode when Nigel fell off the roof hammy in the extreme, but TA is back to form with everyone's reactions, which are moving and subtle and believable. Thankfully.

(though I reserve the right to exclude Helen from that at a later date - her returning to form would be not so much fun)

Happy New Year, Inga!

Inga McVicar said...

And happy New Year to you as well Miriam! All the very best for 2011. And may it be a tad less traumatic for us eavesdroppers from here on ...

Tee-hee re Rev Shula. The mind boggles about how they decided that as content, then how they found a vicar who had that problem. Bizzare.

But yes - our mutual appreciation from Alan continues. Would be nice to hear more from him out with death.

Also agree that it's good to be back to our usual Ambridge pace.

It's interesting how different folks have reacted to the 2nd of Jan. I was in tatters. I think the hype wound me up to the point that I'd have reacted to Peggy stubbing her toe!

Also loving our new Helen. Or more correctly, that more folks can also now wish her better than death ...

Anyhoo. Glad tonight was back to Grundy scams, thoughtful reflection and Clarrie being out and about.