Saturday 10 March 2012

Tom has genuine concern for another person! 05.03.12

The Archers Monday 5th March 2012

  • David Vs Ruth
  • Clarrie’s obsessively washing her hands
  • Pat wants to forget how she treated Clarrie
  • Tom Archer’s Ready Meals are “okay”
  • Emma’s lost her free babysitter
  • Tom’s worried for Tony


David Vs Ruth

[Ruth] “It’s not often you’re down before me on a Monday morning”

David’s still helping Bridge Farm out with their milking.

He’s also still harassing Ruth to tell him what her magic solution is for the dairy herd.

Ruth grunts at him and tries to change the subject.

[Ruth] “And there’s other things we need to talk about. Like Ben’s birthday!”

When they later sit down to talk, Ruth’s priority is to again sort out Ben’s birthday. They agree that he’ll have a party on Friday.

[David] “So now that that is decided, I think the future of our dairy herd is slightly more urgent”

[Ruth] “Okay, you think I don’t realise that!?!”

[David] “We’ve agreed that you’re going to come up with a plan to keep the cows …”

Ruth tells David she’s working on it. She’s looking into other systems, and is talking to “someone with figures”.

[Ruth, furious!] “David, don’t do this, stop hassling me, when I’ve got the information I’ll tell you about it … so please just back off and give me some time!!!”

oo-er!

I can see both sides.

David’s worried they’ll go bankrupt if they don’t make a change soon.

Ruth doesn’t want to lose the dairy herd, but finding a way of keeping them isn’t easy. Or fast.


Clarrie’s obsessively washing her hands

Clarrie back working at the Bridge Farm dairy.

She’s first worried about making sure her hair net covers all of her hair.

And she’s worried about remembering what to do (Susan reckons it’s been 8 or 9 months since Clarrie was working in the dairy). Especially with the new Rhubarb and Elderflower flavours.

[Clarrie] “I hope I still remember it all. You’ll have to watch out for me, Susan”

Understandably, Clarrie is a bit obsessed with washing her hands. The poor woman must be terrified.

[Clarrie] “I’m still having to pinch myself, I can’t believe I’m back here”

Bless Clarrie. No anger or resentment towards Pat or Tony.

Both Clarrie and Susan are glad to be back working together. Even though they can’t have their usual 10 rounds of gossip.

[Susan] “Me and Clarrie will have to min our P and Qs today. No gossiping!”

When Susan tells Susan that Tracey have got her kids into Loxley Barrett, so can stop having to drive them miles to their old school, and can start looking for a job – Susan worries about whether that can be classified as gossip.

[Clarrie] “No, that’s just family news isn’t it?”

[Susan] “Well that’s good. Means we’ve still got something to talk about”


Pat wants to forget how she treated Clarrie

[Pat] “Thanks for coming in. It’s really not been the same without you”

[Clarrie] “That’s so nice of you … I do wish I could turn the clock back Pat I wish it never happened”

Pat tells Clarrie to forget it, put it behind them, and crack on with the work that there’s now to do.

More about Pat wanting to forget how she treated Clarrie than anything to do with e.coli …



Tom Archer’s Ready Meals are “okay”

Hmm. That’s not exactly a wonderful endorsement from the focus groups.

But Tom seems happy enough. And is still very keen to get his hands on the DVD of the groups.

Can’t imagine that’d be remotely stimulating viewing. Each to their own, I suppose.


Emma’s lost her free babysitter

We don’t hear from Emma today, but Clarrie’s apologising to Susan that she can’t babysit anymore. Though Eddie is taking the shift today.

Emma will not be pleased.



Tom’s worried for Tony

Tom’s back home after a long say.

He’s stressed and overworked, so Brenda gives him a wee shoulder massage (which sounded quite painful).

[Brenda] “You can’t do it all at once, Tom. You’ve got to pace yourself”

(look at what happened to Tony. But who was it who wouldn’t let Tony pace himself? Oh aye, it was Tom …)

[Tom] “It’s not just the work. It’s dad too … will he (be fine) … well, no one’s saying it, but there are no guarantees are there. I mean, look what happened to your mum … we all thought she was fine after her first heart attack”

[Brenda] “We all did. But I think it’s different now”

My goodness.

I never give Tom any credit (he doesn’t deserve it). But he does sound genuinely worried about losing his dad. And not just because it’d mean more work.

Tom is indeed human after all.

2 comments:

Lewisham Gardens said...

Every so often it hits me that there arent too many people on The Archers that I like very much!

Ruth Archer's tone.
Emma- is sullen and sulky
As for Tom, Pat, Helen and Tony...

At least Brian and Jennifer are aware/ happy in their smugness. The others all think they are nice people.

Inga McVicar said...

True (though I will always be a cheering squad for Helen ... no idea why!).

I adore Lilian. Also Ian. Soft spot for the ever witty Jazzer. And Vicky is great comedy value!

Shame none of them are about much at the moment ...