Saturday 8 October 2011

Ambridge Extra Tuesday October 4th 2011: Oh horror! It’s Clive Horrobin!

(which I predicted 27th September as Susan’s mum had a cough)

  • “That wasn’t Clive Horrobin, was it?”
  • Internal wonderings
  • Some girl called Erin
  • When Matt met Clive
  • The Who … that’s better
  • To Friend or not to Friend, that is the question
  • Alistair is a bit nervous
  • At least Ivy is happy



“That wasn’t Clive Horrobin, was it?”

So the first Ambridge Extra of this season starts with some bloke trying to hitch a lift.

He’s wondering to himself he should have just “jacked” one.

And he sounds Liverpuddian.

Alistair drives by with Daniel in the car. Alistair wonders to himself:

[Alistair] “That wasn’t Clive Horrobin was it? Couldn’t have been. They wouldn’t have released him yet, surely?”

So can't be Liverpuddian. Unless he was sharing a cell with one.


Internal wonderings

I reckon Ambridge Extra got off to a good start this time – the secret microphones certainly seem to be in a better place (so they don’t just pick up the mumblings of Ambridge’s teens).

But what’s all this internal monologue stuff?

Very odd.


Some girl called Erin

Daniel was telling Alistair about some girl called Erin Hayes.

I must admit I drifted off as they were talking, but sounds like she’s in his class at school, and had glandular fever once.


When Matt met Clive

Matt picks up the bloke who has been trying to hitch for a fair while now.

Both Matt and the bloke are surprised that they’re both heading to Ambridge.

And why is the bloke going to Ambridge?

[Clive] “Just me old mum. She ain't well”

Aha (we all cry!). It is Clive!

[Matt] “Aren’t you supposed to be a maniac or something … I heard they’d thrown away the key”

[Clive] “Look, I know I’ve got a bad reputation”

[Matt] “You’ve earned it, son”

[Clive – shouting at first] “I WERE ANGRY … I’m passed it now. Like it got me anywhere. On a twelve year bit … got out after 6.

“ … back then I reckoned the whole world were against me … you spend so long trying to keep your place in the pecking order you forget who you were fighting”

Seems Clive now reckons he’d been fighting the system.

Conveniently forgetting all the folks he hurt along the way.

As Matt drops him off, Matt behaves a bit oddly. He at first didn’t want to tell Clive his name.

But anyhoo – Matt’s first words when he arrives home:

[Clive] “What are you looking at ... stupid gnomes.”

Then as he’s waiting for the door to be opened:

[Clive] “Screws? How come he knew so much about jail?”


The Who … that’s better

I was worried about blasts of pop music in Ambridge Extra – but its okay.

The musical blasts have progressed to something a bit more classy.

Matt was playing Who Are You by The Who.

That’s better.


To Friend or not to Friend, that is the question

Daniel is wondering to himself if he should Friend Erin (on what I assume was Facebook).

He’s being a bit of a stalker, but I suppose that’s just what we do these days.

Spot someone you like. Google them. Facebook them. Follow them on Twitter.

Suppose it’s safer than hanging outside your target’s window …


Alistair is a bit nervous

He’s checking all of their windows are shut.

He worried about Clive coming back to attack them again.

Well – technically he’d attached their horses. And quite viciously so. How he could have slashed the horses in the first place I don’t know – and why that was a good way of trying to get at Christine and George (who he thought still owned the stables) is also a bit strange.


At least Ivy is happy

Clive arrives home. Bert and Gary are there.

And his mum, Ivy, is over the moon.

[Ivy] “I can’t believe it. My little boy’s come home!”

I think ivy will be the only one to be glad to see Clive.

No comments: